Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Railways "ACOMA" Bar/Lounge Car

Date: 04/28/17 01:25
Santa Fe Railways "ACOMA" Bar/Lounge Car
Author: StarshipConductor

COME CELEBRATE THE "ACOMA'S" 80th BIRTHDAY WITH A HIGH IRON CELEBRATION!

Greetings Santa Fe/Super Chief/Streamliner fans!
May has crept up on us and I only just now realized that our local (Los Angeles) iconic symbol to the incredible and historic streamliner past ... the ACOMA, is about to turn 80!! It was May, 1937 that the new Super Chief made several preview runs and then started her regular service between Dearborn Station, Chicago and Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. Shall we have a party?!?

The ACOMA was built in 1937 by Budd Company and was a part of the original lightweight SUPER CHIEF. Of the original 7 passenger cars, only the ACOMA still rides the HIGH IRON (the diner, Cochiti, resides at the Sacramento State Railroad Museum while the Observation, Navajo, is at the Colorado Railroad Museum at Golden). Built as a dorm lounge, the ACOMA also carried a barbershop (later converted by Santa Fe to a stewards room, now a galley). The car never saw Amtrak service and has never been ruined ... its current interior has been lightly refurbished maintaining its "as retired" (1968) appointments and decor.

Help us celebrate the fabulous streamliner era by riding with us from Los Angeles to San Diego and return on May 27. ACOMA will, of course, be on "home rails" for this trip and in fact made many trips between Los Angeles and San Diego in her later days.

The fare: $189.00pp. Includes lunch southbound and light meal w/wine and dessert (cake!) northbound. Also included, celebratory champagne toast at departure!

Schedule: Depart L.A.U.P.T. at 11:20am on train #572. Arrive San Diego at 2:11pm. Enjoy 4+ hours of sightseeing in San Diego, then ... Depart San Diego at 6:50pm on train #591, Arrive LA at 9:35pm.

For more information or tickets, contact: ConductorBill@LARail.com

Date: 04/28/17 01:34
Re: Santa Fe Railways "ACOMA" Bar/Lounge Car
Author: StarshipConductor

What's that Southern Pacific Conductor doing aboard the Santa Fe Railway's "ACOMA"?
Most Definitely Having A Great Time! Come Join the 80th Birthday Celebration!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 01:37 by StarshipConductor.

Date: 04/28/17 10:33
Author: knotch8

At least in the 2nd photo, there are only a couple of guys sitting inside with their caps on.

I don't count the guy with the boater. That's appropriate to the car, and he's part of the entertainment.

Date: 04/28/17 14:22
Author: aronco

Where is the trainmaster when we need his expertise? Conductors must be clean shaven, no beards! And that waiter slouched in the chair with his feet in the aisle! It is obvious that supervision is needed here. Call me if you need me!

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 04/28/17 14:56
Author: MojaveBill

One year younger than me!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/20/17 09:42
Author: bridge22-0196

Not to be picky, but the Super Chief used Santa Fe's La Grande station until LAUPT was finished in 1939.

Today (5/20/17) is the 80th anniversary of the arrival in L.A. of Super Chief's first lightweight train set's first revenue run from Chicago. I'm celebrating by staffing the Cochiti at CSRM this afternoon.
Sandra in Davis

StarshipConductor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COME CELEBRATE THE "ACOMA'S" 80th BIRTHDAY WITH A
> HIGH IRON CELEBRATION!
>
> Greetings Santa Fe/Super Chief/Streamliner fans!
> May has crept up on us and I only just now
> realized that our local (Los Angeles) iconic
> symbol to the incredible and historic streamliner
> past ... the ACOMA, is about to turn 80!! It was
> May, 1937 that the new Super Chief made several
> preview runs and then started her regular service
> between Dearborn Station, Chicago and Los Angeles
> Union Passenger Terminal. Shall we have a
> party?!?
>

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds