Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Loading grain

Date: 05/21/17 10:59
Loading grain
Author: GBW309

There's nothing like the sound of a GP 9 revving up to run 8 (unless there happens to be an Alco nearby). Eastern Illinois Railroad Company operates 53 miles of former NKP trackage in Illinois and primarily serves the agriculture industry. On April 14, 2010 EIRC GP 10 #1040 (former Chicago & North Western) assists with loading activities at the grain elevator in Oakland, Illinois.

Dave

Date: 05/21/17 11:58
Re: Loading grain
Author: refarkas

Great catch. I had not heard of this line. The grain elevator makes a great backdrop.
Bob

Date: 05/21/17 12:16
Author: Milwaukee

The blanked out dynamic brake grids on this unit tell the story that its not an original C&NW unit since I believe all of their purchased new units came without the dynamic brake option. This unit started out as Minneapolis & St. Louis 707. Nice to see one of the original M&StL units still running as I understand the one that was put on display painted in their colors is not an original (although it seems to look dead on).

Date: 05/21/17 18:32
Author: penncentral74

Seems to have GP18 radiator grilles, also

Date: 05/21/17 19:29
Author: SCKP187

Great photo and composition. The GP10 in grain elevator service in Chappell NE seems to have the same radiator grill as well.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds