Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Nostalgia & History > A visit to Alamosa, CO. Going, going...

Date: 05/22/17 14:06
A visit to Alamosa, CO. Going, going...
Author: BoilingMan

In scanning old negs for my Chama du Jour series (on the Steam page) I came across these photos from Alamosa. I'm guessing this was on about 2000. I know the roundhouse is gone now, but I don't know if the lift and it's section of 3rd rail track is still there.
SR

Date: 05/22/17 14:07
Re: A visit to Alamosa, CO. Going, going...

Date: 05/22/17 17:20
Author: callum_out

As it ended up the last piece of three rail of any length was under the the lift. I believe it's gone, the yard
is so different now that it's hard to see where it was located.

Out

Date: 05/22/17 17:44
Author: Earlk

The 3 rail under the transfer crane was still there when I left ALA in 2012, as was the crane. It is the last dual gauge track in the yard. There was 3 rail in a crossing on the Creede line west of the yard, but it was rebuilt and the 3rd rail pulled several years ago.

The last of the roundhouse, oil house and shell of the wood working mill (for the car shop) was torn down by the UP just before Christmas in 1997. the only remaining structure in the roundhouse/backshop area is the sand tower, which no longer has rail under it.

Date: 05/22/17 18:03

'97? Okay, I guess I took these a little earlier than I thought. I remember hearing the roundhouse had been been leveled- sad news.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds