Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > When San Francisco's Cable Cars were public transportation

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/22/17 20:49
When San Francisco's Cable Cars were public transportation
Author: photobob

Here's a shot I took of one of San Francisco's Cable Cars passing a track crew back in 1961. I'm sure they are used by locals but if you notice the fare was fifteen cents plus I believe you could use a transfer from other connecting services. Now the fare is $7.00 Im sure there must be some kind of deals but $7.00 is as steep as the Hyde Street Hill. I was back in San Francisco a couple of times last month and I hate to say it but it is not the same city I was born and raised in. I wonder what Herb Caen would be saying about his Baghdad by the bay. I guess change is inevitable and you always can't go back to where you were born. Tourist pay the bill's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/17 20:51 by photobob.

Date: 05/22/17 21:15
Re: When San Francisco's Cable Cars were public transportation
Author: DynamicBrake

Now there's a blast from the past! My favorite was the Hyde St Hill. I have many great memories of riding the cable cars when I was growing up (as a kid.) Seven dollars now?...wow. Thanks for sharing this great shot Bob.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 05/22/17 21:20
Author: ble692

And you probably have to wait in a fairly long line to fork over that $7 to ride them. It took several visits to the City with the family before we finally encountered what we considered was a reasonable line and finally rode them. Defiantly a cool ride, just too much of a crowd at times though.

Date: 05/22/17 23:25
Author: Ritzville

I worked on the Muni from 1973-81 and started out as a Cable Car conductor in 1973. Fare then was .25 and .05 for seniors and students. Worked the 507 many times. I worked all lines on the extra board, but mainly worked Powell and Hyde line. That was my most unique rail job.

Larry

Date: 05/22/17 23:34
Author: steph62850

Classical music fans will recognize the partially obscured sign on the side of 507 as an ad for radio station KKHI.
"Tune hi, try KKHI"

Stephanie Ann

Date: 05/23/17 01:18
Author: atsf121

Great photo, and yes it really has changed. I used to be able to take the California line for work meetings on occasion, even though the $5 fare was a bit steep - but work was paying!

And Herb has probably spun in his grave so many times by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 01:19 by atsf121.

Date: 05/23/17 02:57
Author: andersonb109

High fares needed to pay for HSR boondoggle.

Date: 05/23/17 05:10
Author: Lackawanna484

Are regular MUNI commuter passes accepted on the cable cars?

There was an uproar when SF got a bundle of federal mass transit $$ for cable system renewal.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 05:53 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 05/23/17 05:34
Author: LocoPilot750

And it only cost 15 cents, when pocket change was still made out of real silver and copper.

Date: 05/23/17 06:56
Author: sagehen

San Francisco can't be expected to maintain the cable cars just for tourists to ride on them. Never mind that tourism is the city's biggest industry and that the whole country chipped in $50 million or so to rehab the lines.

Stan

Date: 05/23/17 07:12
Author: Betsy

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> High fares needed to pay for HSR boondoggle.

The cable cars are an antiquated system that by all rights has no place in a modern transportation system. They, and the PCC cars used on the F-Market line still running only because people are willing to pay a bit more to ride them. But the Muni is chronically underfunded and often unable to meet the day-to-say demands of public transport in The City. Even though they can often be less convenient than just hopping on the nearest bus, I would occasionally go out of my way to use them in my commute because it was an enjoyable experience. When the Muni just had the fast-past one only had to show the card to the operator and Muni essentially ate the cost difference. Today, even though you get a small discount, it still costs more using the Clipper card than on a regular bus.

The extra fare helps pay for the upkeep of transportation modes that have otherwise outlived their time. It does not go to fund the HSR system. It's unfortunate that you're so freaking bitter that you have to bring that up in a discussion where it had no relevance and no place. Something that happens with all to much frequency here on TO.

Elizabeth Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/17 12:48 by Betsy.

Date: 05/23/17 07:58
Author: 462pacific

Remember...all progress is change but not all change is progress.

Date: 05/23/17 08:32
Author: spnudge

Back in the 60's, you could buy a Sat or Sun. pass for 50 cents. (Could have been just Sunday) You could ride all day on any Muni conveyance and the cable cars.

They had the "Save The Cable Car" contest in the 70's. I won for the "Mark Hopkins" and got a free trip to Hawaii. I also sent in one for "Herb Caen" but they didn't pick it. My kids have been to the car barn and said there was a plaque on the wall with my name on it. Maybe I will get down there one day to see it.

Nudge

Date: 05/23/17 08:54

462pacific Wrote:
> Remember...all progress is change but not all
> change is progress.

Machiavelli lamented that, in a famous comment.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”

Date: 05/23/17 09:37
Author: garrett

andersonb109 Wrote:

Give it a rest already. The cable car system takes a lot of maintenance, and parts for it are unique and custom made. We all know your hatred of California based on previous postings. Take your hate and politics elsewhere.

Date: 05/23/17 10:48
Author: Stottman

Not really a wait during the off season, during the week. And it's still probably the quickest tourist friendly way back to BART after walking down the Embarcadaro.

Date: 05/23/17 11:10
Author: LittleDoc

Great memories of the cable cars and San Francisco as a whole! I grew up in the Bay Area and The City was always our favorite destination. Thanks for posting Photobob!! Always enjoy your NorCal postings!!

Steve
Henderson NV

Date: 05/23/17 18:25
Author: bnsfbob

The cars are impossible to ride in the busy summer season. Lines are worse than ever. It's not like in the sixties where if you could hang on somehow they would let you on. There must have been 50 riders per car at times. Saw guys standing on the couplers for gosh sakes!

On my last trip, we had a 5-day pass which made it affordable. It was "serious" public transportation on our trip. We used the heck out of the cars.

Bob

Date: 05/23/17 18:34

The F line classic PCC cars to the Ferry building. Then walk along the Embarcadero to Hyde Street turn around. Take the car back to the F line on Market.

Sounds like a fine "circle" trip

Date: 05/23/17 18:56
Author: PHall

andersonb109 Wrote:

Muni has no connection what-so-ever with the HSR folks.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds