Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > TY Tower, crossing of IC, UP and CSX, in 1992

Date: 05/24/17 08:17
TY Tower, crossing of IC, UP and CSX, in 1992
Author: MaryMcPherson

George Redmond is now in his seventies, and as in many cases his kids have little interest in the fruits of his railfan labors. What to do with it? Get in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and wants others to get enjoyment out of it as well. In December he pulled a Vito Corleone and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Fortunately I didn't find any horse parts in bed with me at any time. Since December, I've been working my way through digitizing, breaking down and filing away over 250 hours of video shot between 1985 and 2012. Needless to say, it's been keeping me out of trouble.

On July 17, 1992, George visited the tower at Tuscola, Illinois. The tower was in its last days, as the rebuilding of the plant and replacement of the manual interlocking was looming. Several hours were spent around and in the tower during which numerous trains passed, with multiple movements on each line.

The Illinois Central line needs no introduction, as it was under the name same name it had when the line was constructed in the 1850s. The Union Pacific line was acquired when U.P. absorbed the Missouri Pacific in 1982. Prior to MoPac ownership, the line was a mainline of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois. The CSX line was once a branch of the Baltimore & Ohio, and saw (and continues to see) the lowest traffic volume of the three.

Here's a look back as CSX predecessor paint schemes, rebuilt first generation diesels, and an Illinois Central business car all make an appearance. Also, it's a look back to a time where a friendly tower operator would invite you up for a visit.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/24/17 08:45
Re: TY Tower, crossing of IC, UP and CSX, in 1992
Author: GP30Frank

Thanks for putting that together . It was very interesting .

Date: 05/24/17 08:56
Author: UP3806

Thanks Mary for processing and posting this video. A very interesting junction with a nice variety. Surprised to see the CSX train. Spent some time at Tuscola the following year (1993) when UP 3985 ran past with an excursion from Chicago to Findlay.

Tom

Date: 05/24/17 11:42
Author: SCKP187

Very enlightening and a pleasure to see. Thanks for putting this together and showing this.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/24/17 19:28
Author: srman

As the others have said thank you for putting this together and sharing.

Date: 05/24/17 20:13
Author: Rathole

Great look back at motive power scene from 25 years ago. Thanks!

Date: 05/25/17 22:05
Author: wabash2800

Mary:

That's some good stuff including interesting photo angles, sights and sounds. I can tell you put some work in editing his material.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 05/28/17 19:33
Author: algoma11

Very interesting to me as well.
Was there in 1980 while on a course at Bloomington Il. Met the one legged tower operator-Bob I believe was his name.
Nice guy-little rough around the edges, spent several hours with him in the tower, was a great time-Thanks for sharing!

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds