Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP's Carfloat or Barge No. 1: Update

Date: 05/24/17 11:36
SP's Carfloat or Barge No. 1: Update
Author: phthithu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/18 14:20 by phthithu.

Date: 05/24/17 11:49
Re: SP's Carfloat or Barge No. 1: Update
Author: TCnR

Do you have the dimensions of Barge #1? I would suspect longer and narrower than your typical barge, many of which came from WWII surplus.

There are a number of locations along the Petaluma river where the concrete or aggregate Companies are using barges. Suspect that was a good place to moor the car float, or it could have been up for sale to one of the aggregate companies. Barges are rebuilt and re-decked for their current duties. The current Google photos shows a number of smaller barges and one good sized barge, possible part of the current aggregate from B.C. operation that ties up in Redwood City. In that operation they trans-load aggregate to a barge in the middle of the Bay and then the larger ship can make it into RWC channel.

Not making any suggestions but the dimensions would be a good start.

Date: 05/24/17 15:12
Author: TCnR

Incredible amount of info on all sorts of ships and facilities in there. Thanks for the link.

Date: 05/26/17 15:10
Author: drumwrencher

Interesting! Great research. Wish I could add to it! All I know, which you most likely already do, is Moore Drydock made the Key System's Peralta and Yerba Buena ferries. It was located where Schnitzer Scrap is today.

Keep up the great work - I never knew SP had such a navy.

Walter

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds