PE train frequency in the early months of peacetime what a service they had

Date: 05/24/17 16:28
Re: Glendale Burbank what a service 1945
Author: bakersfielddave

Sundays and holidays as well

Date: 05/24/17 22:44
Author: jgmiller

Sometimes our forefathers were smarter than their kids....

Every time I see something like this it truly amazes me how shortsighted we have become over the last 60 years or so.

Date: 05/26/17 03:23
Author: DNRY122

I remember one person who had grown up in Glendale telling about how his family rode the Red Car regularly--until Dad bought an automobile.

Date: 05/26/17 09:29
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I think one of the biggest drawbacks of taking public transportation over a private automobile would have been at Christmas time and other shopping occasions when everyone took the Pacific Electric from Glendale to downtown L.A. to do their shopping. You were forced to schlepp all those bulky parcels with you on the return home. Compare and contrast this with the trunk of an automobile.

Of course, nowadays, no one does their shopping in the Central Business Districts of most big cities, except maybe New York and some of the other cities located in the Northeast where driving is a pain.

Instead, everyone just stays out in the suburbs and shops at the big box stores that all provide free parking.

Try finding free parking in most Central Business Districts.

There are many factors that drove people away from public transportation to private automobiles. Personal preference was one of them. Free parking was, and continues to be, another.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds