Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > SN Coupler question revisted

Date: 05/24/17 20:24
SN Coupler question revisted
Author: EtoinShrdlu

A while back callum_out asked about the SN radial car couplers. Now that I've had a chance to do my Charles Bronson Man with a Camera act (with a digital SLR, not a 4x5 Crown or Speed Graphic), by the numbers:

Pic 1, baggage end of the SN 1005: 1 is the uncoupling handle (painted red), 2 is the rod leading to the bell crank on the bottom of the draft gear lug pin, 3 is the bell crank, 4 is the rod leading to the couplers uncoupling mechanism, 4 is the bell crank of the uncoupling mechanism, 6 is the knuck1e, and 7 is the knuckle pin (knuckle throwing spring missing). To uncouple, pull outward on handle 1. This causes rod 2 to rotate the bell crank, which in turn pulls on rod 4. Rod 4 pulls backward on the bell crank (5) of the uncoupling mechanism, which allows the knuckle to open.

Pic 2: OA&E 1020 on left, SN 1005 (vestibule end) on right. 1 - 1 the rod from the main bell crank (4 in pic 1), 2 is the uncoupling bell crank (5 in pic 1), and 3 is the knuckle throwing spring.

Both the 1005 and 1020 have Janney R-16 radial couplers.

Pic 3: Gould radial coupler: 1 is the attachment point for the uncoupling lever, 2 is the knuckle release. Not sure how the knuckle thrower worked. To uncouple, pull outward on 1, "outward" meaning "horizontally away from the coupler's thumb".

Now let's see whether I can post these in the correct order (and hopefully I didn't shrink them too small).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/17 20:27 by EtoinShrdlu.

Date: 05/28/17 20:32
Re: SN Coupler question revisted
Author: callum_out

Thanks very much for those shots, my buddy will be pleased!

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds