Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ham and Swiss on Rye, Please

Date: 06/24/17 21:21
Ham and Swiss on Rye, Please
Author: MartyBernard

Roger Puta photographed the BN Sandwich, Illinois Depot in January 1979. I worked the CB&Q Sandwich Depot for two weeks in July 1963 substituting for the vacationing regular agent. When the Dispatcher gave the morning lineup on July 5, 1963 he said Train 2, the Galesburg Local, had E5A 9915B "Silver Clipper" for motive power. The local ran Galesburg to Chicago in the morning and returned in the evening.

The first three photos are Roger's taken in January 1979. It was a BN Depot by then.

The fourth and fifth photos are mine of the Galesburg Local making its station stop on July 5, 1963.

With some Grey Poupon please,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/17 08:57 by MartyBernard.

Date: 06/24/17 21:22
Re: Ham and Swiss on Rye, Please

Date: 06/24/17 21:30
Author: atsf121

Love the E5

Date: 06/24/17 23:25
Author: aaronhanson

:
I worked the CB&Q Sandwich Depot for two weeks in July 1973 substituting for the vacationing regular agent

If you had an e5 roll by it was most assuredly 1963 and not 1973. I think you made a small typo.

Date: 06/25/17 08:33
Author: Lackawanna484

Several examples of GM excellence in the pictures. Back when design engineers could express their creativity with locomotives or car fins, cladding, all around visibility, etc.

Date: 06/25/17 08:59

Yes, 1963 not 1973. Thanks. Marty

Date: 06/25/17 09:50
Author: TAW

One night, I had one in the ditch on the Stillaguamish River bridge at Silvana WA (north of Everett). I described what and where to the guy in St. Paul Diesel Control. I had to spell Stillaguamish twice, after which, he said You guys sure have some strange names out there. I knew that he was a Q guy from the Galesburg office. I responded Plano, Earlville, Sandwich, Somonauk. He said I never thought about it that way...and we went on taking about the wreck.

TAW

Date: 06/25/17 10:06
Author: refarkas

Image four made me say "WOW!"
Bob

Date: 06/25/17 15:48
Author: upkpfan

In pic. #4, that is a good looking 1960 Chevy Impala.  Used to have a  60 years ago.   Somebody said there is a train engine in the pic. someplace? upkpfan

Date: 06/25/17 17:50
Author: KskidinTx

Say, upkpfan, you might have had a 60 Chevy 57 years ago, but not 60. I also had a 60 Chevy in 63 and 64. Had to drive quite a bit between Emporia and Newton, Ks. Hwy 50 paralleled the Santa Fe's 1st District in quite a few places and when there was not any traffic I would time myself once in awhile. That old Chevy with a 348 fat block could click off the mileposts in 30 seconds.

Just remembered another episode with that car. I was travelling from Emporia to California in '64 and experienced a flat tire as I was pulling into Needles. Went to get out the spare and it was flat. Fortunately there was a gas station about a block ahead of my location. I could have been out in the middle of the desert when it occurred. I learned to always check the spare before making long trips.

By the way Marty, sure enjoyed all of the pics. Keep them coming............sorry I got off subject.........

Date: 06/26/17 19:52
Author: upkpfan

KsKidinTx wrote,> you might have had a 60 Chevy 57 years ago, but not 60.<  I was saying , I also had a 1960, years ago. I should have had a comma behind the 60.  Had the 348 w 3-2's on it. Would get 19-20 MPG until you put your foot in the other 2 end  carbs. upkpfan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/17 19:53 by upkpfan.

Date: 06/28/17 10:03
Author: RRTom

Drove through Sandwich once and still get a laugh remembering the cop car boldly proclaiming it was the Sandwich Police.

Date: 07/10/17 00:13
Author: aaronhanson

The mighty Sandwich Police have nothing on the Normal Police. Go an hour south and you've got Normal, Illinois, named after the Normal Teacher's College. A real town with "Normal Police" a town hall and the average, likable Mayor of Normal. Illinois jumps out of its no-nonsense ways with these mild eccentricities, like the trashy river town "Marseilles" and its special pronunciation. Also known as "martucky" for the rumored shallow gene pool within, people the local yokels sometimes refer to as "yellow hammers." You won't hear it anywhere else.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds