Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1994: Moving Trains Around

Date: 07/18/17 14:39
1994: Moving Trains Around
Author: bandob

The curator at the B&O Museum explained to us that moving the trains on display periodically actually was good for their preservation. So, periodically, every few years, we'd "switch the yard." Here's a series of photos from one of those events.

1) #7402 is ready to pull the freight train from its place on the front track.

2) RDC #9913 is on the move, seen through the window of WM F7 #236.

3) "The Capitol Limited" is pulled out, to be pushed into the track formerly occupied by the freight.

B&OB

Date: 07/18/17 14:42
Re: 1994: Moving Trains Around

and more.... moving the 1604 took the most skillful engineer. the curator. He was a former CSX engineer.

Two great 4-8-4's.

B&OB

Date: 07/18/17 14:42

After the moves, The Capitol Limited looked really sharp in its new, more prominent location.

B&OB

Date: 07/18/17 14:49
Author: nycman

I'm sure Ross won't agree, but I think his 614 looks much better with the headlight centered as shown in your photo. I saw her at the B&O museum in '95 in that configuration.

Date: 07/18/17 14:56
Author: ClubCar

Thanks B&O Bill for the photos of when the B&O Railroad Museum was being operated by professional outstanding people who cared about history, not like it is today allowing so much of the history to just plain rust away.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/18/17 16:38

Well, Club Car, I can't be quite as distressed as you are. Yes, I know that B&O, like most every RR museum, has some equipment not in the best of shape. But, I also know about cost, budgets, and the fact that "you can't save everything." I look at the wonderful restorations done to the early steam locomotives that were damaged in the roof collapse in 2003, and I think even now #51 is getting work. There's good things going on.

I don't think we should say "people don't care about history" just because we may disagree with their choices.

Anyway, here's another full view of the 614....and I'll stay out of the headlight placement debate! LOL

B&OB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds