Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Nostalgia & History > Midweek Menu - Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac

Date: 09/13/17 09:02
Midweek Menu - Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac
Author: njmidland

The RF&P provided dining cars as part of the pool of equipment used on various Pennsylvania - Atlantic Coast Line - Seaboard Air Line - Florida East Coast trains. In 1950, Pullman-Standard delivered ten 36-seat dining cars to the RF&P to fill in their portion of the various New York - Florida trains.

Photos 1 - 3: Menu from 1943.

Date: 09/13/17 09:06
Re: Midweek Menu - Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac
Author: njmidland

Photo 1 - one of those Pullman 36 seat diners - the "Henrico".
Photo 2 - Over the years the RF&P used several different china patterns featuring their triangle logo. This pattern was the "Fredericksburg" pattern.

A brief look at the unique dining car operation of the RF&P, as required to compliment the dining car services of its larger passenger partners.

Date: 09/13/17 11:00
Author: MartyBernard

How were the cars scheduled? One day a week on certain trains?

Marty Bernard

Date: 09/13/17 12:01
Author: ts1457

The WWII menu from the peak of the wartime shortages is really interesting. Want two spoonfuls of sugar? Get the iced tea. You know you are in the South. I assume the tongue was beef, so that is the only beef item I spot on the menu.

Date: 09/13/17 13:42
Author: agentatascadero

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How were the cars scheduled? One day a week on
> certain trains?
>
> Marty Bernard

My guess is that these diners simply went into a pool of cars, owned by several railroads. Think of the "CB&Q transcons"....which all were turned over to other RRs to further their trip west. There was at least one PRR Pullman in the CZ pool, probably one for each of the 6 sets.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/13/17 13:52
Author: MartyBernard

AA, then why was there a separate RF&P menu if the diners were in the pool?

On the CZ, I assume the PRR Pullman was a through car from New York all the way to Oakland and were not assigned to CZ sets.

Marty

Date: 09/13/17 14:22
Author: agentatascadero

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AA, then why was there a separate RF&P menu if the
> diners were in the pool?
>
> On the CZ, I assume the PRR Pullman was a through
> car from New York all the way to Oakland and were
> not assigned to CZ sets.
>
> Marty

I was an RF&P dining car. Just guessing here, but, using the CZ for example......a CB&Q dining car would have a CB&Q menu, same with the other two CZ partners.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/13/17 15:27
Author: jo-tower

The CZ had its own menu which was specific to that train.

The PRR owned Silver Rapids which was the New York-Oakland
thru sleeper. The NYC leased a sleeper from the Rio Grande
if I remember correctly. If you were on the New York sleeper,
you had a one in six chance in riding in the Silver Rapids.

CJV in Illinois

Date: 09/13/17 20:24
Author: ts1457

With RF&P contributing diners to certain through Florida trains, its dining car crews probably participated in the service too. I am guessing that a major name through train had a menu for the train, but I believe that you can find instances where a foreign line diner and crew used its own railroad's menu on a through train.

As for the RF&P menu, the railroad operated a few trains between Richmond and Washington that were not part of a through service. I am guessing that this is where our wartime menu was used.

Date: 09/14/17 06:31
Author: lowerberth

Also given the limited selections, I think you're probably correct. At least post-war most joint trains had branded dining cars and you'd never know the owner of the particular car: CZ, Golden State, Cities, Empire Builder, North Coast Ltd. Think also true for Chicago-Florida trains, Crescent, etc

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds