Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Boiler Explosion On An 1100 Series Pacific

Date: 09/23/17 09:00
Boiler Explosion On An 1100 Series Pacific
Author: MaryMcPherson

In 2000 I was still working in the radio business when I came up with the idea of doing a radio documentary on the men who worked on the railroad during the steam era. I put out a little note on our station's "swap shop" sort of segment, which resulted in my visiting Mr. Robert Presley in Hurst, Illinois.

Robert Presley went to work on the Illinois Central in 1941 at age 15, working for his father who was the foreman on a track gang. He later went in the service at the tail end of World War II, and returned to the railroad when he left the military in 1946. His career eventually took him into the roundhouse at Carbondale, Illinois, and into the signal department during slack periods at the roundhouse. Mr. Presley was 84 years old when he passed away in 2011.

As we were wrapping up our first interview, he mentioned a boiler explosion on a St. Louis bound passenger train. We did one more interview a few days later, and I asked about the incident.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/25/17 00:34
Re: Boiler Explosion On An 1100 Series Pacific
Author: Evan_Werkema

Amazing that a random fragment of broken glass could just happen to be shaped just right to seal a pipe like that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds