Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Nostalgia & History > Man, that's some kinda bloody nose!

Date: 10/15/17 11:12
Man, that's some kinda bloody nose!
Author: santafe199

Here’s a dandy slide dupe I was able to pick at Summerail ’17 a few weeks ago. As a kid in the 60’s I remember seeing Uncle Pete’s version of General Electric’s original U-50 rolling through my 2nd home town of Abilene, KS. But I never got the chance to see in person this SP version with that “towering” red nose. Wow! What an intimidating sight this must have been…

1. SP 9951, one of only 3 SP U-50s poses in Los Angeles, CA in November of 1976.
(‘East West Rail Scenes’ copy slide image)

Thanks for looking back (& up)!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 10/15/17 16:46
Re: Man, that's some kinda bloody nose!
Author: BoilingMan

I seem to remember Steinheimer suggested these were maybe the spiritual descendants of the cab forwards. I can see his reasoning, but, of course, the U-50's did not enjoy anywhere near that kind of success.
SR

Date: 10/15/17 17:07
Author: PHall

Looking at the large vertical "pipe" just behind the pilot and just ahead of the front truck.
Is that a "poop chute"? Was the toilet in the nose of these units?

Date: 10/15/17 17:57
Author: santafe199

PHall Wrote: > ...  Looking at the large vertical "pipe" just behind the pilot ...

My guess <earlier> was a sanding hose leading to the wheels. But now I see the "vertical" pipe you guys are talking about. And you may be right: watch your step. The more I look at the "hose", the more I think it might actually be the speed recorder attachment...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/17 18:54 by santafe199.

Date: 10/15/17 18:49
Author: Railbaron

I see that hose but the vertical pipe he's asking about probably is indeed the dreaded "poop chute" back before retention tanks were on engines and cabooses - back when you had to watch your step. <G>

Date: 10/15/17 19:50
Author: PHall

Yeah, the red "hose" is the speed recorder drive. I'm asking about the 4-6 inch pipe forward of it.

Date: 10/15/17 21:26
Author: Railbaron

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, the red "hose" is the speed recorder drive.
> I'm asking about the 4-6 inch pipe forward of it.

See my response just above yours, although perhaps I didn't type it clear enough.

I would say the pipe you ask about is indeed the old "poop chute".

Date: 10/15/17 22:24
Author: coach

How did these engines perform?  Slippery?  Good pullers?  Mechanical issues?

Date: 10/15/17 23:27
Author: cewherry

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at the large vertical "pipe" just behind
> the pilot and just ahead of the front truck.
> Is that a "poop chute"? Was the toilet in the nose
> of these units?

Yes, the hopper was located in that very cramped nose and the outer nose door was next to useless especially while moving.
You really put your life at risk when trying to move from unit to unit at any speed above 15 mph.
The door(s) leading from the cab into the nose compartment consisted of two springed metal panels, (think of full length saloon doors
from from a western movie though without the louvers). You had to turn your body sideways in order to make the passage.

Charlie

Date: 10/16/17 11:03
Author: MILW16

If Union Pacific's locomotives used the span bolsters from traded-in turbines, what did GE use on SP's? Extra UP span bolsters?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds