Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Westbound UP or SP Train? Elko,Nevada 5-5-1994

Date: 10/15/17 22:57
Westbound UP or SP Train? Elko,Nevada 5-5-1994
Author: RailRat

My usually detailed personal notes are a bit Sketchy from this tape, (#34) series I have been posting lately here on TO, covering 5-4 to 5-5-1994. So I had to go with date icons displayed on tape, plus memory while viewing the tape. but it's my passion, and pleasure to present them to you. Not sure if this train is a UP, or SP using borrowed UP units, due to the "PIG" trailers. Back then SP was borrowing power from all over the place, it was confusing. Sometimes an SP train would be seen with all UP Units. But all westbound UP trains stopped here in Elko to change crews, and westbound SP trains would usually always keep going past here to Carlin,Nev. before crew change. Probably a UP train however, due to crew change in Elko. Next Video is Same train pulling ahead, then stop to fill a unit with water.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/16/17 11:03
Re: Westbound UP or SP Train? Elko,Nevada 5-5-1994
Author: fresno

UP train - looks like the old SLOAZ symbol with the reefers/autos showing on the back from your other video. Those cars were usually on the front of the SLOAZs back in the day, but I think by 1994 those trains had been downgraded to DUOAZs and would eventually become KMNOAs. Sadly, those trains are no longer running these days, mainly due to the NUMMI auto plant shutdown a decade ago. The SP "Golden Pig Service" trailers threw me off as well, but the crew changed out at Elko so it had to be a UP train.

Date: 10/16/17 22:32
Author: ProAmtrak

Great video Rat, thing that I always liked about the Dash 8s and 9s was that distinct sound they had when they either were about to stop or start, to me that just sounded so cool, but always liked when they were in Run 8, they always sounded awesome!

Date: 10/16/17 23:18
Author: RailRat

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great video Rat, thing that I always liked about
> the Dash 8s and 9s was that distinct sound they
> had when they either were about to stop or start,
> to me that just sounded so cool, but always liked
> when they were in Run 8, they always sounded
> awesome!

Thanks,Pro, and yes that "chugg-chugg" or "glugg-glugg" sound, I think due to 2 stroke engines?. Plus liked the smoke these would put out sometimes. Also sometimes if "loaded up" a lot, a good size flame would come out exhaust stack. Think I have that video somewhere?...A UP engineer told me he loaded one up, on purpose one time with one of these, out in the dark night desert, and it really lit up the area around him!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 10/17/17 21:14
Author: ProAmtrak

Got a pic of that on a BNSF Westbound going underneath the West Flag Signal Bridge back in 2001, it always looked awesome when they did that!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds