Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rio Grande #1136 Working in the Yard (and some others parked)

Date: 11/13/17 22:44
Rio Grande #1136 Working in the Yard (and some others parked)
Author: ucarson

This film shows Rio Grande #1136 working in the railyard. Also, there are several locomotives parked in various places. The ones I can identify are SF #3776, ATSFRR #1, SF #2926, a 2-8-2 #300?, and Saginaw & Manistee Lumber Company #4. This must have been shot along the way during one of the family trips from California to Kansas, but I'm not sure on the exact locations/dates.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/14/17 02:05
Re: Rio Grande #1136 Working in the Yard (and some others parked)
Author: Evan_Werkema

The 3776 appears to be at Albuquerque, NM. The details of the roundhouse in the background match up.

Date: 11/14/17 07:13
Author: tomstp

Note the 3 rail track. 1136 was in Alamosa, Co.

Date: 11/14/17 09:10
Author: ntharalson

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 3776 appears to be at Albuquerque, NM. The
> details of the roundhouse in the background match
> up.
I agree. And I think the rest of the ATSF steam was also at
Alburquerque.

The train in the first clip looks to be on the DRGW narrow
gauge somewhere and I'm think one of those experts can ID it.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 11/16/17 08:45
Author: Earlk

Opening shot is the D&RGW Silverton Branch on the north side of Durango headed north. Train has just crossed the Animas River.

The 1136 is some where in the vicinity of Alamosa. It was one of the last standard gauge steam locomotives in service in 1956. From the late afternoon sun, I'd guess it is on the line toward Antonito.

The shots of the 300 and 4 are at the old Saginaw & Manistee mill in Flagstaff. In the 1960's a Holiday Inn was built of this location. #4 had suffered a burned crownsheet and #300 had been sent over from the Apache Ry in McNary as a replacement. It proved to be too hard on the track and it was replaced by another 2-6-6-2 purchased from out in California. The tender behind #300 is interesting. It remains today behind 2-8-0 #25 on display in downtown Flagstaff. The second 2-6-6-2 #12 is also in display north of Flagstaff.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds