Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Nostalgia & History > Business Was Good

Date: 12/13/17 13:13
Business Was Good
Author: WichitaJct

Business was definitely good on the Santa Fe in 1977. About mid-year they leased power from CN and CNW. The CNW units were GP30s and the CN units were SD40s. They also pressed all their remaining F7 B-units in to service. I believe the next year, 1978, they leased power from C&O/B&O/WM. This photo was taken at Augusta (Ks.) 27 July 1977. For those of you familiar with the area, AG Tower and the Frisco crossing are right about where the first box car is. Photo by Allan Ramsey.

Date: 12/13/17 15:31
Re: Business Was Good
Author: santafe199

Don't forget the C&NW SD-45s. It was a fun year to go shooting on any SFe mainline. I believe my long time pal Dave Franz got a shot of some CN power pointing a train running by the Ottawa depot! Ottawa, KANSAS, that is...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/17 15:47 by santafe199.

Date: 12/13/17 16:33
Re: Business Was Good
Author: KskidinTx

Just checked my 1977 timebook to see if perhaps I was on that train. But no, I was on a two week vacation. It's kinda hard to believe I was able to snag a "SUMMER" vacation for no more seniority than I had at that time. Someone must have made a mistake!
Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds