Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maps From a Time Table

Date: 03/09/18 06:09
Maps From a Time Table
Author: bandob

Railroad public timetables used to be a real treasure trove of information. Not just passenger train schedules and equipment, but often sample fares and a map of the lines. Here's an example: the map from a 1967 Southern Railway Time Table.

More can follow if there is interest.

B&OBill

Date: 03/09/18 06:40
Re: Maps From a Time Table
Author: colehour

I love maps, especially railroad maps, so keep 'em coming! (And thanks for posting.)

One of our family's treasured books is a 1950 era hardbound atlas. It feature the railroad lines rather than highways and other roads on the state maps. At one time that information was obviously more important.

BTW, the map you posted reminds me of the Rand McNally atlas that has been reproduced. I no longer have my copy, but that map looks familiar. Is it possible that the Rand McNally map was used for the timetable?

Date: 03/09/18 06:48
Author: lowerberth

I’ve always been amused by maps in old Official Guides which streamline geography to make that road’s routes to be straight and without competition.

Date: 03/09/18 07:16
Author: santafedan

lowerberth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve always been amused by maps in old Official
> Guides which streamline geography to make that
> road’s routes to be straight and without
> competition.

I like those, also. It was amazing how their routes and states were much larger than the rest of the USA.

Date: 03/09/18 08:00
Author: krm152

1967 was a transitional year for the Southern Railway.
D.W. (Bill) Brosnan retired in November being succeeded
by Graham Clayror.
ALLEN

Date: 03/09/18 09:31
Author: mundo

Lower left hand side says Rand McNally.

Date: 03/09/18 11:00

Glad to see there are others who like TT maps!

Here's Union Pacific, which took up both sides of the cover.

B&OBill

Date: 03/09/18 11:22

In 1960, Chicago & North Western still had a center spread map of the entire system. By 1964, it was just a panel showing what passenger service was left. Not much.

B&OB

Date: 03/09/18 11:46

The classic Baltimore & Ohio Blue System Time Tables fo the 1930's through the early 1960's had a two-page center map. In 1964, the combined C&O/B&O timetable had the map on one page.

B&OBill

Date: 03/09/18 11:58

If you have a particular favorite railroad whose map you'd like to see, let me know and if I have it in a timetable I can scan and post.

B&OB

Date: 03/09/18 13:29

Had my first request for a railroad. Well, I don't have a time table for this line, but, cozephyr, fortunately the Official Guide had a map.

B&OBill

Date: 03/09/18 13:38

I suspect cozephyr knew this, and was testing me, but I'll bet not all know that the WAG was once part of the B&O. Look at this 1950 B&O map. That little isolated line in North Central PA....darned if it doesn't serve Wellsville, Addison, and Galeton!

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/18 15:40 by bandob.

Date: 03/09/18 13:48
Author: cozephyr

Right on! Damn you're good! Thanks for the prompt research and map posting. LIKE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/18 13:51 by cozephyr.

Date: 03/14/18 08:40
Author: Gonut1

The portion of B&O that eventually became the Wellsville, Addison and Galeton got separated by a washout after major storms or a hurricane. The B&O opted not to rebuild as the line had steep grades and a switchback. They kept a couple small steamers to run the isolated trackage. Not enough profit from the lumber mill served in Galeton to bother, just ship it out on NYC at Ansonia.
Into the 1980s there was still a through plate girder bridge over the abandoned railroad on the top of the mountain crossing on PA Rte 144 which was a gravel highway south of the bridge and paved northward.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds