Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maps from a Time Table: The Long Island Railroad

Date: 03/13/18 10:27
Maps from a Time Table: The Long Island Railroad
Author: njmidland

How about the Long Island Rail Road as it was in 1911? Of particular note is the Montauk Steamboat Company connections - Greenport to New London, CT, and Orient Point to Manhattan. Hells Gate Bridge was still 5 years in the future, so the idea of going to Boston using this route was still in the timetable. Pennsylvania Station had opened less than 6 months before this timetable was issue, thus direct service to Manhattan was still something new.

Date: 03/13/18 20:09
Re: Maps from a Time Table: The Long Island Railroad
Author: RuleG

Interesting.

I always thought it was Long Island "Rail Road," but the timetable shows "Railroad."

Date: 03/14/18 03:52
Author: bandob

What a treasure! Thanks for posting.

B&OBill

Date: 03/14/18 06:07
Author: njmidland

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting.
>
> I always thought it was Long Island "Rail Road,"
> but the timetable shows "Railroad."

I do contract work for the LIRR these days and they are very big on it being Rail Road. My understanding is that during the years of PRR control they usually used Railroad. It has only been since the 175th anniversary a few years ago that they went back to Rail Road, although apparently they still operate under the original corporate entity from the mid-1800's.

Tim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds