Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > Oink! (The theme being pigs on rails)

Date: 03/20/18 04:46
Oink! (The theme being pigs on rails)
Author: Korigaoka1811

1 -- In 1978 UP was still running its yellow stock cars in pork-on-the-hoof service. San Bernardino.

2 -- This private owner double-deck stock car was at South Omaha in 1975. Didn't Northern Pacific have similar jumbo Pig Palace cars?

3 -- Does this count as a pig on rails? San Bernardino, 1981.

John

Date: 03/20/18 05:27
Re: Oink! (The theme being pigs on rails)
Author: penncentral74

Here's ALPX 88 being finished at Ortner Freight Car in Covington KY in 1966, taken during a plant tour by my Father.

Yes, NP had some of these and they carried the 'Pig Palace' name boards.

Date: 03/20/18 08:31
Author: CPR_4000

The Food Fair supermarket chain in the East had these, too. They were painted green, like that ALPX car.

Date: 03/20/18 09:44
Author: DynamicBrake

Where's the "Golden Pig?"

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 03/20/18 10:03
Author: ctillnc

Reminds me that when taking a passenger train from Hung Hom station in Hong Kong to Guangzhou, we passed a southbound pig train. Pig, literally... about 35 gondolas full of pig carcasses, minus heads. The temperature was below freezing, by the way.

Date: 03/20/18 10:20
Author: DTWilson

03 July 1949 - B&O Extra 7620 East was struck from behind by B&O Passenger Train #4 near Deer Park, MD. Several stock car loads of pigs were involved... I'll spare everybody the photos of the deceased swine........

Date: 03/20/18 10:50
Author: WM_1109

DTWilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 03 July 1949 - B&O Extra 7620 East was struck from
> behind by B&O Passenger Train #4 near Deer Park,
> MD. Several stock car loads of pigs were
> involved... I'll spare everybody the photos of the
> deceased swine........

Wait...free bacon and you don't want to share the pix? That's just cruel.
-Ted

Date: 03/20/18 15:18
Author: zars

The Nickel Plate Historical and Technical Society featured in their magazine several years ago a derailment of an NKP train in Gibson City, IL. Several cattle cars with hogs were involved and many animals were killed. However, the count of live and dead animals were much less than the number of live animals in the manifest. It was speculated that many carcasses were carried off by locals for home freezers before they could be secured.

Date: 03/20/18 16:42
Author: UPNW2-1083

I was working the job that delivers the hogs to Farmer John's in Vernon (Ca) on Christmas eve into Christmas day in 1983. We were the only job working in the yard as the hogs had to be unloaded no matter what. I decided to go with the holiday spirit and hung a string of lights on our switch engine. This one hog was able to escape it's certain fate for a short time but was rounded up and taken back to the plant (sorry about the quality of the pick, was hand held in very low light and rain).

Date: 03/20/18 17:29
Author: PHall

That piggy knew what was comin'!

Date: 03/20/18 17:41
Author: RailThunder

Reminds me of a story I think I read in Trains Magazine long ago about a crew investigation in the LA Superintendent's Office. Back in the caboose days a car load of hogs had been lost in the Nevada Desert account a stock door coming open and they jumped to their deaths in the middle of the night. The caboose crew was blasted for not seeing the hogs jumping out of the car. The conductor had a great reply in that "It's not like a hog is gonna make a spark when he hits the ballast at 70!" The charges were dropped.

Date: 03/20/18 21:36
Author: Fredo

Brain was that the night that Manny Logan fell into the mud puddle?

Date: 03/20/18 22:26
Author: UPNW2-1083

Fredo Wrote:
> Brain was that the night that Manny Logan fell
> into the mud puddle?

No, this was way before he hired out. I had just got back to work after being furloughed for a year and 1/2 and the job went no bid so I was forced assigned to it.-BMT

Date: 03/20/18 22:48
Author: tunnel88

I was looking for a Golden Pig trailer as well! But yes, neat photos, even the grainy late night incident shots!

Date: 03/21/18 09:34
Author: valmont

tunnel88 Wrote:
> I was looking for a Golden Pig trailer as well!
> But yes, neat photos, even the grainy late night
> incident shots!

Like this one?

I took this shot in Cheyenne on Oct. 28, 1990

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds