Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Nostalgia & History > Mars/Gyra Question

Date: 04/25/18 07:01
Mars/Gyra Question
Author: whistlepig

When did the FRA outlaw the use of oscillating red lights as markers? And why?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/18 07:03 by whistlepig.

Date: 04/25/18 07:15
Re: Mars/Gyra Question
Author: FiveChime

Around 1970. My understanding was they wanted this signal to mean one thing - Train stopped with a problem.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 04/25/18 09:48
Author: EtoinShrdlu

> When did the FRA outlaw the use of oscillating red lights as markers?

Not sure when, but ISTR it was a RR thing, not FRA.

> And why?

Oscillating lights are mechanical mechanisms which require maintenance. The RRs are cheap and wanted to cut down on maintenance costs.

Date: 04/25/18 10:52
Author: ATSF3751

I don't know of any rule. Union Pacific still used them on it's business trains as late as 1979. I rode the head end of the Amtrak Pioneer that hear following a UP special from Boise to Pocatello. I distinctly remember that gyrating light on the UP train as we ran a few miles behind. Following our stop in Mountain Home, we fell behind quite a distance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/18 10:58 by ATSF3751.

Date: 04/25/18 14:23
Author: spnudge

On the SP it was the cost of keeping them up. (Red to the rear) They put out a notice, I think in 72, that stationary red lights were only to be used on the rear of a train. Lite engines were to use red markers and after markers were removed from engines, a headlight was to be used, on dim.

SP didn't quit there. Front mars lights and class lights were removed when the motor was shopped. The mars lite was replaced with a stationary yellow light that flashed by electronics, not movement. After a few trips thru the tunnels you couldn't see it anyway. The red mars lights on the front of the units were removed around the same time.

Then ditch light became law.

Nudge

Date: 04/25/18 14:56
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

I liked the old figure 8 Mars lights on the old SP SD 9s and the Rio Grande units. The only trouble was at night if you were a little sleepy they were hypnotic !

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/18 18:31
Author: crackerjackhoghead

They weren't outlawed, just done away with over maintenance. There were still some around after the UP/SP merger in '96 and I used them, every chance I got. The last one I remember was a D&RGW tunnel motor which had an oscillating headlight, class lights, a yellow strobe, on the roof, and ditch lights. I had them all on, looked like a circus!

Date: 04/25/18 18:33
Author: BigSkyBlue

crackerjackhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They weren't outlawed, just done away with over
> maintenance. There were still some around after
> the UP/SP merger in '96 and I used them, every
> chance I got. The last one I remember was a D&RGW
> tunnel motor which had an oscillating headlight,
> class lights, a yellow strobe, on the roof, and
> ditch lights. I had them all on, looked like a
> circus!

The "Wall of Light". Great days. BSB

Date: 04/25/18 23:31
Author: tehachapifan

I believe the OP was referring to the use of a RED oscillating light facing rearward as a rear marker vs. a UDE application.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/18 23:32 by tehachapifan.

Date: 04/26/18 06:12

The reason I asked is because one of the so-called experts on the steam board said they were outlawed by the FRA. I don't want to mention any name because it appears he has a short fuse.

Date: 04/26/18 06:34
Author: HotWater

whistlepig Wrote:
> The reason I asked is because one of the so-called
> experts on the steam board said they were outlawed
> by the FRA. I don't want to mention any name
> because it appears he has a short fuse.

I participate on the "Steam Railroading" (Steam & Excursion) board, and must admit that I must have missed THAT statement/posting. Neither The Mars Signal Light Co., nor the Pyle National "Gyralight" oscillating headlights have been "outlawed by the FRA". In fact, SP 4449, CMStP&P 261, and NKP 765 still have their respective "Mars Lights", which still comply with FRA regulations.

Date: 04/26/18 07:04

I'm talking about the REAR lights.

Date: 04/26/18 07:18
Author: HotWater

whistlepig Wrote:
> I'm talking about the REAR lights.

Well, I STILL don't think that the FRA "outlawed" them.

Date: 04/26/18 07:33

I didn't think so. I've been around awhile and I never saw anything in print on it.

Date: 04/26/18 07:59
Author: SilverPeakRail

Rather than being "outlawed" the oscillating lights just don't fall into the prescribed characteristics in 49CFR Part 221.14. Display of additional lights per the railroad's requirements may continue, and the regulation does not apply to tourist and historic trains per 49CFR Part 221.3(b)(1).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds