Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Nostalgia & History > How about MoPac for a change of pace

Date: 04/25/18 11:39
How about MoPac for a change of pace
Author: Roadjob

Top... went to New Orleans several times to visit family. I never failed to visit the Huey P Long bridge over the Mississippi. It was the most dramatic rail/road bridge I saw. There is a somewhat similar one in Baton Rouge, but the variety that crossed this bridge was a rail fans dream. This train is starting the descent into the joint MoPac/SP yard in Avondale...1982

Middle...my first MoPac Train was an eastbound coming into Avondale with this classic lineup. 1969.

bottom...Transfer run in Kansas City area near Neff yard. 1983

Date: 04/25/18 12:25
Re: How about MoPac for a change of pace
Author: UPTRAIN

Fantastic images of my favorite railroad. One minor correction would be on the shot of the SW1200's. This image shows the train passing Old Union Depot Interlocking headed south on the Kansas City Terminal Railway, a good 3 miles or so from Neff. It would be interesting to know exactly where that would have been headed. There were quite a few possibilities in 1983 like Frisco Rosedale, Katy Glen Park, Santa Fe Argentine (or 5th Street), KCT Mill Street, Cotton Belt Armourdale, or UP Armstrong or 18th Street, among a couple others.

Pump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/18 12:26 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 04/25/18 13:39
Author: Roadjob

I yield to you on location. I knew I was hanging around Neff that day. I was a MoPac fan as well but never got to see much of it.

Date: 04/25/18 13:51
Author: rev66vette

Very nice photos....

Date: 04/25/18 15:12
Author: ClubCar

Roadjob, all your postings have been great, no matter what railroad you covered, however I enjoy the B&O and Western Maryland the most since I did many trips on those roads in the good-ole-days, memories that last forever. Thank you so much.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/25/18 19:25
Author: SCKP187

Great photos of an all-time favorite road.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/26/18 05:58
Author: gbmott

The photo of 902 is interesting. That's a former T&P unit, recognizable from its Mars light and multiple-chime horn, but unusual in carrying the MP buzzsaw heralds. All of the T&P F-units that I recall seeing after being renumbered and dipped in Jenks Blue still carried T&P diamond heralds on the nose and side as in this photo of 927 I took in Van Buren, AR 1-27-65. Where 927's chime horn went is anybody's guess.

Gordon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/18 06:01 by gbmott.

Date: 04/26/18 13:17
Author: rrpreservation

Wonderful shots!! Thanks for sharing them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds