Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Nostalgia & History > Whats on top of this loco?

Date: 04/26/18 03:24
Whats on top of this loco?
Author: lilwes

What is the box on top of this AT&SF EMC SC?As you can see it was taken in 1940 but where I have no idea. Also the photographer is unknown to me but it was in a stack of photos in my Merle T. Graves collection. Any help as to where, what and who on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking, Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 04/26/18 04:42
Re: Whats on top of this loco?
Author: utwazoo

Just when you think you've seen everything. I looked at Priest's Santa Fe Diesel, Vol. 1 and there was a photo of SC #2153 but not a word in the text about any such modification. Looking forward to someone coming up with the answer.

Date: 04/26/18 05:48
Author: RRBadTrack

It's an exhaust powered player piano.

Given the newness of Diesel technology at that time, I would say it is some kind of spark arrestor. It looks like it is removable, perhaps placed in position during drought conditions. It could also be that the unit regularly switches an industry where fire hazards exist.

Date: 04/26/18 05:56
Author: E25

How about a water tank for a steam boiler to keep idle passenger cars warm while they are in the terminal?

Check out the extra hose near the air hose on the cab-end of the loco. It doesn't look like an MU hose / cable.

Date: 04/26/18 06:06
Author: LarryDoyle

Cab doors in odd place, too.

-LD

Date: 04/26/18 06:25
Author: Roadjob

That one has me too! Never saw anything like it.

Date: 04/26/18 10:52
Author: CPR_4000

I can't see any evidence of a steam trainline, though.

Date: 04/26/18 12:27
Author: retcsxcfm

I don't know either.But I observe this,
pipe running along the walkway on engineer's
side.Lifting lugs on the "thing". Coupled to
the rear of a passenger car.Where is the exhaust
stack? Looks like a donkey "D" hose on the rear
next to a smaller hose that looks like signal
hose.VERY odd door arrangement.One on each side.
I want to know too.
???????????

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/26/18 14:49
Author: CPR_4000

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I observe this,
> pipe running along the walkway on engineer's
> side.

Good eye . . . looks like that pipe would prevent opening the hood doors on that side. I bet Evan Werkema will know!

Date: 04/26/18 15:34
Author: 1019X

It looks like the pipe is out on the edge of the running board so the hood doors could be opened. As for the steam pipe connection, the front photo shows a gap in the pilot sheet so the connector could be swung back underneath. The first photo shows what looks like an exhaust stack out of the roof of the cab, that combined with the back doors on side leads me to believe that the boiler is in the cab and the object on top of the hood is a water tank. If that is the case that would be one hot cab! Also notice a pipe going up the side of the hood to the top of the box which looks like a water fill pipe.
Charlie

Date: 04/26/18 22:41
Author: 2720

If you look at the roof of the cab in the first photo, it looks like the exhaust
stack for the steam generator. The door arrangement would also suggest the addition of
something in the center rear of the cab! Roof hatch in front of the possible exhaust stack.

The pipe along the running board looks to come from under the cab, this could be another
indicator the steam generator is in the cab!

Mike

Date: 04/27/18 00:41
Author: Evan_Werkema

There's another published, undated photo of the fireman's side of 2153 in this configuration on page 420 of Iron Horses of the Santa Fe Trail. The caption says, "Note experimental steam generator mounted on No.2153...in its early years when used in passenger switching." I had always been a bit puzzled by the notion of a steam generator mounted horizontally on the hood, and having the device in the cab and the water tank on the hood makes a lot more sense.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds