Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Nostalgia & History > Passenger trains in Odenton and Riverdale, 1991

Date: 06/13/18 09:49
Passenger trains in Odenton and Riverdale, 1991
Author: lee_uintah

1) We first see four trains in Odenton on October 16, 1991: three MARC and the last one is Amtrak. First is an electric MARC commuter, southbound. Second is a diesel powered northbound with one engine and five cars. Third is a northbound MARC train with one engine and 5 cars, which does not stop. Fourth and last, we see a speedy southbound Amtrak come roaring through the station. I was caught off guard, and I was way too close to the speeding train. But I thought it was wiser to stand my ground, rather than try to move, and maybe trip.
2) A CSX passenger train burns up the rails northbound through Riverdale, MD, at 1707 hours on 19 October. There were three CSX covered wagons up front, followed by 15 MARC cars and a MARC engine at the end.
Enjoy!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/13/18 16:52
Re: Passenger trains in Odenton and Riverdale, 1991
Author: SamRae

The 19th of October was a Saturday, so the MARC passenger train was indeed a special train. Don't remember what it was for, but with 15 cars, there was probably 850 or so seats available on the train. That was in the days when CSX cooperated in running specials, like this. At the time, the CSX F7's were assigned to Riverside Shop in Baltimore, as that was the only shop on the railroad which could still handle those engines. As I remember, we agreed to maintain the engines in trade for using them, and CSX could pull them for "business train purposes. Both sides were happy.

G.F.Payne
B'more

Date: 06/13/18 18:57
Author: lee_uintah

Thank you for that wonderful background and history.

Date: 06/13/18 21:54
Author: Atlpete

WOW, these are all great and (opinion) technically/comparatively a significant cut above a lot of video camera work back then- as in steady, well composed and well sequenced. The kind of quality work I associate with British rail videos on You-Tube.

Good looking trains too for a change and I love those old Budd P-85's still in the mix.

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/18 21:56 by Atlpete.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds