Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > A few Centennials early and late in their careers

Date: 06/22/18 08:40
A few Centennials early and late in their careers
Author: Super_C

Here are half a dozen images of UP Centennials in action when they were relatively new and also in service during their second lease on life in 1984. Also of interest is some of the track changes at Dale, Wyoming between 1971 and 1984. Picture #2 and #3 show the "before and after" changes.

#1 6929 West is seen departing Cheyenne with 6916 and a GP30 in tow passing Tower A on a very gloomy day in June 1971. Not to be missed is the fine 1950 Ford belonging to one of the employees in the tower. The gold dome of the Wyoming capitol can be seen in the distance above the rear of the Ford.

#2 6933 East, with another Centennial and a DD35B, is approaching Dale Junction on #1 track after passing through Hermosa Tunnel located around the curve behind the rear of the train. Note the color of the signal equipment, not to mention the business car behind the power. Unlike the weather in the shot by Tower A, this June 1971 morning is much more pleasant.

#3 Jumping ahead to September 12, 1984, 6916 East with 6938, "Fast Forty" SD40-2 3739 and another Centennial are in the same location as Photo #2. Note how Track #3 has been extended west from Dale Junction to a new set of crossovers and the signals are now painted silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/18 19:03 by Super_C.

Date: 06/22/18 09:29
Re: A few Centennials early and late in their careers
Author: SPDRGWfan

Wide open spaces and big power; what's not to like?

Wish I could see close-ups of the trailers and flat cars they hauled!

Cheers, Jim

Date: 06/22/18 09:35
Author: King_Coal

Great selection of photos. I particularly like the tower view in #1.

Date: 06/22/18 09:36
Author: RGDave

Awesome photography work here, and just incredible locomotives. Wow!

~RGDave

Date: 06/22/18 10:02
Author: joeygooganelli

I never knew that UP painted their signals any color other than black or silver. Interesting. I wish we'd see a modern road do something similar.
JOe

Date: 06/22/18 12:23
Author: ACL3042

The signal bridge at East Hermosa still has some green paint showing through the silver paint. Great series.

One photo that I always like, John was a west bound coming out of the Hermosa tunnel with a great Kodachrome sky. It was published in a book years, ago. I think the train had all SD40's. It could have been the 6900's too.

I always looked up to your photography skills.

Gary

Date: 06/22/18 12:49
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Wow....just wow.... I LOVE Centennials, and your photos are superb!! Those monsters had the fastest acceleration of any diesel, and were the loudest diesel-electric locomotives ever built! (Never heard them at full power -- only in the Feather River Canyon and in Oakland, at low speeds.)

Gorgeous shots, every one of them! Thank you!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/18 20:08 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 06/22/18 13:37
Author: RailRat

Exellent!! AND thanks for fixing my Centennial jones!

(I logged in today, actually hoping someone posted some Centennial photos, and whattaya know) !!

Those are some beautiful photos of Big Jacks working out in the Big Country, the sound of them working together must have been awesome!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 06/22/18 13:39
Author: Bob3985

If my mind serves me correctly the 6922 is the DD40 on display at Cody Park in North Platte.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/22/18 15:23
Author: utwazoo

And on the WP:

6910E at Clio and Portola, August 16, 1984

Date: 06/22/18 20:01
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome pics Super C!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/18 20:13
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Ooooh...,,... I LOVE those photos! Those Centennials were incredible!1

And Steve Lee was running that day? Cool!

Date: 06/22/18 23:13
Author: RailRat

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow....just wow.... I LOVE Centennials, and your
> photos are superb!! Those monsters had the
> fastest acceleration of any diesel, and were the
> loudest diesel-electric locomotives ever built!
> (Never heard them at full power -- only in the
> Feather River Canyon and in Oakland, at low
> speeds.)

Here you go Margaret!, (and anyone else who wonders what a Centennial sounds like at full run). A video of 6936 departing, from a standing stop, to full run, within a few moments!

(Best if listened to with earbuds, headphones, or even a stereo system with sub-woofer)

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4202537,4202537#4202537

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 06/23/18 03:21
Author: Roadjob

Being a tower freak, I love the shot in Cheyenne! I got to see the UPs U50s briefly in Kansas City in the early 70s, but I was much more fortunate to see the Centennials on several occasions. The sheer mass of those locomotives was jaw dropping. Great post!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds