Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > For the Chicagoan's--BRC's other enginehouse

Date: 07/02/18 20:52
For the Chicagoan's--BRC's other enginehouse
Author: ghemr

For us Chicagoan's, when we think of the BRC (Belt Ry. Co. of Chicago) we usually think of their sprawling Clearing Yard. However, at one time they also maintained a small enginehouse adjacent to their Commercial Ave. Yard. Here's two photos of their Jeffrey Ave. Enginehouse which was near 94th and Paxton in Chicago.......

1. March 1986

2. June 1987

Date: 07/02/18 22:15
Re: For the Chicagoan's--BRC's other enginehouse
Author: MartyBernard

I happened upon it in May of 1964.  What I found there was BRC 473(GP7), 471(GP9), 456(RS2), and 452(RS2).

Marty Bernard

Date: 07/03/18 06:53
Author: PasadenaSub

Wow, great photos all.  Pretty awesome to think there were still Cow and Calf switchers by the late 80's.

Rich

Date: 07/03/18 10:57
Author: kevink

Very cool!

Date: 07/03/18 13:35
Author: colehour

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, great photos all.  Pretty awesome to think
> there were still Cow and Calf switchers by the
> late 80's.
>
I seem to recall cow and calf units that served the huge US Steel South Works in Chicago, but don't know how late they were in service (or when the plant was finally closed, for that matter). The tracks (EJ&E?) crossed Burley at about 86th St. I think that there might have been a connection with the B&OCT tracks that ran just west of Burley and east of the IC tracks, which are still there.

Date: 07/04/18 16:49
Author: inCHI

Neat to see! I think I've been by there recently and didn't realize anything like that had been there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds