Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Nostalgia & History > A little DRGW ng. nostalgia

Date: 07/20/18 13:38
A little DRGW ng. nostalgia
Author: jbwest

A few shots from the DRGW ng. back in the day. I rediscovered these on my hard drive.   The first is the Chama roundhouse in the early 1960's.  The second is the pusher on a Cumbres turn at at Lobato fill, July 1963. The finally the Chama depot in December 1961. More pix of the DRGW ng. can be found: HERE.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/18 13:41 by jbwest.

Date: 07/20/18 14:15
Re: A little DRGW ng. nostalgia
Author: refarkas

Image one is an "A+" night photo.
Bob

Date: 07/20/18 14:40

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Image one is an "A+" night photo.
> Bob

Thanks Bob.  That was a lucky one.  Back in the days of film night photography was a real crap shoot, take lots of exposures and hope one would work.

JBWX

Date: 07/20/18 16:46
Author: TonyJ

I agree the first image is fantastic!

Date: 07/20/18 19:05
Author: YukonYeti

Image 1 deserves an award... others should learn from you!

YY

Date: 07/20/18 22:45
Author: railstiesballast

JBW:
Your night image of 480 has the most dramatic light and shadow detail on several surfaces but most noticably on the smokebox.
Yes, you were lucky to capture it but you had the eye for just how dramatic the lighting was.
In my opinion that ranks right up with the best of RR photography as art.
MEM

Date: 07/20/18 23:11

Thanks Mike (and others) for such generous remarks.  My inspiration many years ago was some night shots I saw by the great Dick Steinhiemer. I called the technique "painting with light", which was a combination of ambient lighting and long time exposures that allowed me to walk around and pop a flash to fill in the dark spots. The fact the flashes were away from the camera created interesting shadows.  But I really didn't know what I was doing and the results were hit or miss.  The saving grace was I took a lot of different exposures.   But the results were also difficult to work with in the traditional dark room because it was difficult to "see" what was on a negative, and processing was tedious.  The "digital" darkroom has made it a lot easier to go back and process the old negatives, with some pleasant discoveries.  I wish I had done more of it, but after college I got busy with other things and lost interest.

Let me ramble on and tell the story about the great night shot that didn't happen.  Many years ago two friends and I camped out along the Westside Lumber line, at the first grade crossing above River Bridge.  In anticipation of the first early morning "up" train we strung wire and prepared to light up the forest with multipe flashes as the shay came by. Then we crawled into our sleeping bags to get some shut eye.  A few hours later we were awakened as planned by the train whistling for the crossing, and sprang into action.  I jumped behind my camera on its tripod and carefully eyed the progress of the train into the planned image.  At the appropriate time I pushed the shutter release and the forest lit up exactly as planned.  It was perfect.  Except for one thing.  Oh #$%&#! I had forgotten to take the lens cap off the camera.

JBWX

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 09:24 by jbwest.

Date: 07/21/18 08:29
Author: tomstp

Oh wow ! .There is no feeling like "stupido" and it I know it VERY well.

Date: 07/21/18 12:16
Author: railstiesballast

Some say confession is good for the soul (but a confessional booth makes it less painful perhaps?)
If all the TO members of a certain age who have also forgotten the lens cap were to go away who would be left?

Date: 07/21/18 13:19
Author: tomstp

Not many if any.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds