Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Nostalgia & History > Switcher Saturday - GM&O 1001

Date: 07/20/18 23:56
Switcher Saturday - GM&O 1001
Author: refarkas

It was October 13, 1972 in Bloomington, Illinois, and I was standing on the Illinois Route 9 bridge over the GM&O yard. While there are four GM&O switchers visible, I only have numbers for GM&O 1001, 24, and 15. 
Bob
P.S. Thanks to elueck for the bridge information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/18 15:43 by refarkas.

Date: 07/21/18 00:29
Re: Switcher Saturday - GM&O 1001
Author: krm152

Two interesting photos taken taken during a great era.
Thanks for posting.
ALLEN

Date: 07/21/18 06:22
Author: cornerfieldhobby

The way photo 1 is, reminds me of a model railroad on the scene looks. Very good.

Date: 07/22/18 16:57
Author: elueck

The lean-to looking structure on the right side of the first photo is the entrance / exit to a pedestrian tunnel that ran completely under the yard.  This tunnel allowed employees, enginemen and such to go directly to the heart of the engine facilities without having to cross over the active yard tracks to the east, or the enginehouse leads to the west.   As kids, we would ride our bikes to one end of the tunnel (usually the west end) park them there and walk to this entrance and stand there and watch all of the operations at the enginehouse and the south end of the yard.  We were never bothered by anyone, and got lots of friendly waves from the workers.  We learned lots of railroad safety just by watching.   Times have certainly changed.   
Thanks for a great photo, even if it was taken after I had moved away, it still brings back lots of memories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds