Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > train 59 the "West Coast" at Glendale 1960

Date: 07/21/18 08:33
train 59 the "West Coast" at Glendale 1960
Author: photobob

During my summer vacation from high school I spent a week or so in Glendale with Friends of my family. I spent the days riding a bike around the LA Area with my trusty Ikoflex twin lens camera. I had the film processed at a local drug store so I could see whatI was getting. Well they managed to mess up a few rolls and this shot was one of them. Fortunately I saved all the film as I was one not to throw away semi-bad negatives. Anyway here's a shot I took of the West Coast around eight o'clock in the evening at its station stop in Glendale. Before the day's of pixels you used a light meter and hoped for the best plus one shot was the norm as you only had so much film. I came on this negative the other day and gave it a scan and it wasn't bad. This is the only photo I ever took of this train and it only had a few more months to run before being scratched from the schedule. The crew member talking to the family is a nice touch but at the time I wished they would move so I could take my photo. Anyway here's something you'll never see at Glendale again.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 07/21/18 12:12
Re: train 59 the "West Coast" at Glendale 1960
Author: railstiesballast

Great!  On another evening that might have been our family there.  Sometimes the families were the wives and relations of the engine crew, and one lady recognized the hand on the whistle before a train arrived "Here comes Barnes" and from then on I would listen for him too.
Somewhere I have a poor print (no negative) of No. 60 with one chair car, a lounge, and one sleeper as the SP was counting the days until the "train off" ruling, but it was on time.

Date: 07/21/18 12:34
Author: UP951West

This is a splendid photograph !
Thanks for sharing it.  I have an HO model of the SP 6446. --Kelly

Date: 07/21/18 14:16
Author: spider1319

The best part of the photo is the engineman talking to the child with her parents.Brings back memories of my childhood and that of my children.Thanks for posting.Bill Webb 

Date: 07/21/18 18:24
Author: dmaffei

The friendly SP. Times have changed.

spider1319 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best part of the photo is the engineman
> talking to the child with her parents.Brings back
> memories of my childhood and that of my
> children.Thanks for posting.Bill Webb 

Date: 07/21/18 20:38
Author: MojaveBill

One of the nightly parade of passenger trains through Mojave with a stop to handle mail and express...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds