Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Nostalgia & History > How'd That Guy Get Up There?

Date: 07/21/18 16:44
How'd That Guy Get Up There?
Author: WichitaJct

I don't see a ladder anywhere unless it's on the other side. 

Date: 07/21/18 17:04
Re: How'd That Guy Get Up There?
Author: wigwag

Lets just hope nobody blows that M3 horn while hes their!

Date: 07/21/18 17:06
Author: HotWater

Probably crawled over the nose from the other side. I know the CB&Q had the grab irons, and toe step on the Fireman's side.

Date: 07/21/18 17:41
Author: PHall

Rio Grande put the grab iron "ladder" on the firemans side on all of their F Units.

Date: 07/21/18 20:10
Author: UPNW2-1083

Yep, ladder on the fireman's side. Photo by Mike Johnson Novmber 1978.-BMT

Date: 07/22/18 00:14
Author: the_expediter

Seeing how that is the D&RGW, My bet is that he FLEW up there on Wings!... Bless the Grande...SHM... Nyuck Nyuck

Date: 07/22/18 06:44
Author: hawkinsun

Doesn't look like a fun job, especially if that nose was frosty or wet.   I'll bet the OSHA guys today would have a sroke if they saw this guy without double safety lanyards at every move.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 07/22/18 07:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

> I don't see a ladder anywhere unless it's on the other side. 

Yep other side along with a toe creepway so you can climb up the regular cab ladder and then slide over to the nose grabs.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 07/22/18 10:16
Author: ATSF3751

Those ladders and grabs were mandated in around 1959 in response to accidents. The nose of F and E units could be very slippery. Interestingly, while the grabs were manditory, the grabs above the windsheilds were appearently not so, in fact, CGW  for one, chose only to apply grabs on the sides to top of nose below the windshield. 

Date: 07/22/18 17:23
Author: mp109

Modifications were put on the GG1's to comply and the Baldwin shark nosed engines had some kind of a ladder arrangement as I remember.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds