Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > Re: SP Cascade Line, at Wickopee.

Date: 08/07/18 15:03
Re: SP Cascade Line, at Wickopee.
Author: SP2778

SP 7332-UP 5455_SP7819 West.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/07/18 15:18
Re: SP Cascade Line, at Wicopee.
Author: TCnR

Interesting video, trashed out 3x5 power, lumber loads, flat car load with metal banding flopping all over the place. Modern SP, what can you say.

Good idea hiding behind the signal mast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/18 23:17 by TCnR.

Date: 08/07/18 15:41
Author: Railbaron

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting video, trashed out 3x5 power, lumber loads, flat car load with metal banding flopping
> all over the place. Modern SP, what can you say.
>
> Good idea hiding behind the signal mast.

Don't know why you'd say "trashed out 3x5 power". That was a pretty common make-up in the early 90's, 3x5 and 8900 tons probably and it looked like the power was holding up pretty good as the train appeared to be making 19-20 mph, which has always been good for a tonnage train. In fact the "rent a wreck" was the only unit smoking and even it wasn't bad. That crew was handicapped by the 4-axle unit, something they didn't use a lot of up here, but even at that it was doing good. And I don't know how you can blame SP for the banding dragging; that could have broken after leaving Eugene (and probably did). 

Date: 08/07/18 17:59
Re: SP Cascade Line, at Wicopee.
Author: TCnR

You say trashed out like it's a bad thing. The lead unit had a new door on it, just wasn't the same color as anything else in the train.

The banding is pretty bad stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/18 23:17 by TCnR.

Date: 08/07/18 18:06
Author: Railbaron

Oh, yeah, no question about that banding. If that had been like that at Eugene somebody would have stopped the train and corrected it. Since it was behind the helpers nobody on the train saw it but that is really bad stuff, no question. 

Date: 08/08/18 21:19
Author: EricSP

Thanks for the look back at SP and showing the whole train.

The second unit is former UP. Its number 9409. The reporting marks looked like they may have been NREX but I am not sure.

The helpers were SP 8308, SP 8382, SP 8572, an SD45R whose middle digits I could not read, and an unidentified SD45 or SD45R.

Date: 08/09/18 00:19
Author: Fizzboy7

Fun train.   The UP unit looks to be an SD40 and not an SD40-2.  Not seen a leaser with those black markings before.
Good example of standing back from trains when taking photos.   That dragging band can be deadly.
Thanks for sharing.   I'd peg the date around 1992.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds