Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Nostalgia & History > Could you check under the hood while your at it?

Date: 09/22/18 19:08
Could you check under the hood while your at it?
Author: photobob

Back when Fresno was a full service stop we find the San Joaquin Daylight getting the full treatment back in the Summer of 1961.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 09/22/18 19:30
Re: Could you check under the hood while your at it?
Author: wjpyper

1961 I was at Edwards AFB getting used to the California heat after three years in Europe. Used to go to a restaurant in Mojave (can't remember the name) right across the old highway 6 from the tracks. Lots of SP heading for Tehachapi back then. Good times.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 09/22/18 20:10
Author: DonWinslow

Wow, you musta been about 35 years old when you took this. Outstanding photo.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Date: 09/22/18 20:31
Author: MojaveBill

That restaurant sound like Reno's! My wife worked there for 20 years. It was a favorite of the rails. It's closed now but expected to reopen soon.

Back in the early '40s when the Daylights stopped in Fresno big black hoses would be attached to the cars to empty the toilets. My folks gave our luggage to the porter
who placed it on the elevators.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/22/18 22:20
Author: tronarail

I too remember Reno's Cafe. I believe it is now the "Mojave Cafe." I remember my dad had a friend who worked for the Santa Fe, and one evening, this friend (I think his name was Stan Schumann) was the engineer of a 3 or 4 unit set of locomotives sitting on the old (now gone) "A&P Line" on the east side of the SP Depot. He took me down and I received the $1.00 tour of the lead locomotive, from front to rear.  Stan even shut down the locomotive and showed me how to start the huge engine. But he also had a sense of humor. When he fired up that locomotive, he pulled on a lever that a I think was a manual throttle, and that engine revved up to its maximum speed and sent a huge cloud of diesel exhaust across the main highway and nearly hid Reno's Cafe. 

Date: 09/22/18 22:28
Author: agentatascadero

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That restaurant sound like Reno's! My wife worked
> there for 20 years. It was a favorite of the
> rails. It's closed now but expected to reopen
> soon.
>
> Back in the early '40s when the Daylights stopped
> in Fresno big black hoses would be attached to the
> cars to empty the toilets. My folks gave our
> luggage to the porter
> who placed it on the elevators.

Empty the toilet?  Passenger car toilets in the '40s were of the dump type.  The use of retention type toilets was not insituted until several decades later.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/22/18 22:50
Author: Railpax71

Perhaps the hoses were used for watering the cars so the toilets could dump on the track? Didn't the steam generators reservoir require filling too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/18 23:49 by Railpax71.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds