Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > CNW at Dixon, Illinois

Date: 09/23/18 11:39
CNW at Dixon, Illinois
Author: GBW309

Here are three images of the Chicago and Northwestern at Dixon, Illinois.   All three feature westbound trains.  

Image 1:  Taken October, 1984   A westbound ballast train ,running wrong main, is lead by one of the ex Chicago Great Western SD40's    CNW mined their famous "pink lady" ballast at Reedsburg, Wisconsin.   This ballast was used system-wide.  
Image 2:  Westbound "chosen one" during the golden hour ( I dislike that term actually)    Notice the matched trio of GP50's
Image 3:  Fast forward 10 years to July of 1995.  The depot is long gone and Union Pacific power is becoming a regular "thing" on  C&NW trains. 

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Date: 09/23/18 13:54
Re: CNW at Dixon, Illinois
Author: CNW8531

I like it!  Especially that ex CGW SD40 leading in the first shot.  Oh, how I miss the CNW.

Date: 09/23/18 17:31
Re: CNW at Dixon, Illinois
Author: Milwaukee

I find it interesting that the CNW kept the extra light package on the nose of the former CGW SD40 rather than blanking that out.   They clearly had enough time to have done that by the time the photo was taken.   Did the CNW ever get around to eliminating the extra lights on that unit before the retired/sold it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds