Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Nostalgia & History > Six of Great Northern Passenger Trains -- Rick Burn

Date: 09/23/18 19:50
Six of Great Northern Passenger Trains -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

1. GN E7A 505 became BN 9905.  Rick caught her with Train 23, the Badger, in Duluth, MN in September 1962.  I posted photos of those Milwaukee Road F-units a few days ago at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4632842,4632842#msg-4632842

2. GN F3A 366-A with Train 3, the Western Star, 6th Ave. Bridge in Minneapolis, MN  September 1962.

3. GN southbound Dekotan in front of St. Cloud State Reformatory, May 1966.  photographer unknown, Rick Burn collection

Continued ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/18 20:08 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/23/18 19:51
Re: Six of Great Northern Passenger Trains -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

4 and 5. GN Train 23, the Gopher Limited, Snelling Ave., St. Paul, MN in September 1962.  For you passener car addicts I've blown up the train in the second photo.

6. GN Train 32, the Empire Builder's Observation Car at SPUD in September 1962.  Note, next to it is Joaquin Miller named after an American poet.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/18 20:08 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/23/18 21:33
Author: tuledog

marty: i know you have posted this info in the past: but could you once again tell newcomers: who was rick burn, and how was he able to take all these photos, nationwide. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/18 21:39 by tuledog.

Date: 09/24/18 09:42
Author: pwh

Thanks for posting GN photos. Do you know anything about the train next to the Empire Builder in the last photo?

Date: 09/24/18 12:35
Author: millerdc

Surprised the Dakotan would have so much head end traffic.

Date: 09/24/18 14:04
Author: agentatascadero

millerdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surprised the Dakotan would have so much head end
> traffic

Could it have been combined with the Fast Mail?

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/24/18 14:23
Author: rhburn3

Tuledog,

I am a retired US Navy Captain living in Holland, MI.  I was fortunate to get a slide camera and took only slides of trains after March, 1960, though I was barely in high school.  I lived in Elmhurst, IL, along the CNW, CGW, and IC along with the recently abandoned CA&E.  High school friends included Marty Bernard, the late Roger Puta (see Flickr under Puta),  Roger Patelski (Director of Internal Audit at Amtrak),  Bob Johnston (Trains Magazine Passenger Train Writer), Gerry Widemark, Walt Dunlap (Mr. CGW) and Mel Finzer.

My college roommate is Tom Hoffmann, today's Kalmbach librarian.

With Navy ROTC in college, I traveled every summer.   I also got a college summer job as a "Fireman" on the CB&Q in 1966 and a "clerk" on the Milwaukee Road in 1967.  My Navy ROTC took me to San Diego in 1964 and Norfolk VA, Corpus Christi, TX, in 1965, and Europe via Norfolk from Chicago.

After college, I was commissioned in the US Navy Supply Corp.  I spent 8 months in Athens, GA as railroads were really training.  From 1969 to 1972, I was stationed at Hill AFB, UT and lived 8 blocks from Ogden, UT Union Station.

My career included 4 years active duty in the US Navy, 26 years in the US Naval Reserve, 5 years in Management with the Milwaukee Road in Chicago, and 21 years with Savannah Foods and Industries (Dixie Crystal Sugar and Pioneer Sugar)  living Savanaah, GA and Saginaw, MI.

I am checking private messages on Train Orders and look forward to talking with other readers.

Rick Burn

Date: 09/30/18 21:33
Author: kyrasmus

The Northern Pacific main passed by the St Cloud penitentiary. Why wouldn’t a Great Northern passenger train been on home rails just to the south?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds