Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > Trainrise at Pomona

Date: 11/17/18 06:44
Trainrise at Pomona
Author: WichitaJct

I must have risen early on my way to LA in November 1987 to have taken this photo from the rear of #3. Except for the car parked on the far right looks like it could  have been from the 50s. This was also back in the days when the sleepers were on the rear end. Why does Amtrak run sleepers on the head end? 

Date: 11/17/18 07:20
Re: Trainrise at Pomona
Author: ats90mph

Yup, thats how I remember it, must have been in winter, and a cold morning, judging on the low sun, and the steam from the Xerox plant...

Date: 11/17/18 08:42
Author: Zephyr

That's a great nostalgic shot of Santa Fe's old Second District!  Thanks for sharing!

Date: 11/17/18 08:48
Author: DRGW5502

A lot more rail traffic on the other side of that parking lot today.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/17/18 12:04
Author: ATSF3751

WichitaJct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I must have risen early on my way to LA in
> November 1987 to have taken this photo from the
> rear of #3. Except for the car parked on the far
> right looks like it could  have been from the
> 50s. This was also back in the days when the
> sleepers were on the rear end. Why does Amtrak run
> sleepers on the head end? 

Possibly to facilitate the addition of coaches when demand increased. Given the fact that coach trafffic tends to fluxuate more then sleeper, it made perfect sense. SP began placing sleepers up front for this very reason in the mid-1960's. 

Date: 11/17/18 19:58
Author: PasadenaSub

A great photo, brings back memories of getting up early and heading over to Pomona (from Glendora) to park in the vast lot west of the depot to get a backlit picture of #3.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds