Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Nostalgia & History > Dan Patch Electric Lines 100

Date: 12/06/18 17:08
Dan Patch Electric Lines 100
Author: MartyBernard

This is about one of my favorite locomotives because it is so interesting power wise. This locomotive originally belonged Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester & Dubuque Electric Traction Company, better known as the Dan Patch Electric Lines after the owner's prize horse of the same name. General Electric built it in June 1913 using a gasoline engine to drive a generator to power its traction motors.

Dan Patch 100 was sold to the Central Warehouse Company of Saint Paul, Minnesota, in 1917, and converted it to a simple electric locomotive. It was then sold to the Minneapolis, Anoka and Cuyuna Range Railroad (MA&CR) in 1922. The MA&CR converted 100 to a diesel-electric system, using a Waukesha diesel engine.  The Great Northern Railway bought that railroad in 1966 and in 1967 donated Dan Patch 100 to the Minnesota Transportation Museum of St. Paul, MN. It is currently on display at their Jackson Street Roundhouse in St. Paul.   Information from Wikipedia.

To my pleasant surprize in scanning Walt Dumlap's slides I found a picture of Dan Patch 100 and that is why I'm doing this post.

1. Dan Patch.

2. Dan Patch Electric Lines 100 in Duluth, MN in September 1980.  Walt Dunlap photo.

3. My grandson in the engineer's seat, Jackson Street Roundhouse RR Museum, St. Paul, MN, April 2, 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/18 17:25 by MartyBernard.

Date: 12/06/18 18:02
Re: Dan Patch Electric Lines 100
Author: refarkas

Fascinating.
Bob

Date: 12/06/18 18:12
Re: Dan Patch Electric Lines 100
Author: colehour

The racehorse Dan Patch was born in Oxford, Indiana, which still apparently celebrates this famous steed. Oxford was served by one of my favorite ghost railroads, the Chicago, Attica, and Southern, which ceased operations in the mid-1940s. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1652 seconds