Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Justrite railroad lantern

Date: 12/14/18 18:35
Justrite railroad lantern
Author: Josta

Did these lanterns originally have a plastic lens to protect the bulb?  Almost all of the ones I see for sale don't have the lens.

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 12/14/18 18:48
Re: Justrite railroad lantern
Author: CPR_4000

I don't think so. I have a similar lantern by another maker and it doesn't have a lens. That wire "cage" is meant to protect the bulbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 18:49 by CPR_4000.

Date: 12/14/18 19:12
Author: Josta

Thanks, CP! I just found this picture of a Justrite lantern.  It has a swivel stand (#44) otherwise appears to be identical to the #40 model.....and it has a lens.  There's also one on eBay for sale that's like new and comes with its original box.....but no lens.  On the lens-less models there are still screw holes for the lens clip retainers.  Go figure, lol.

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 19:13 by Josta.

Date: 12/14/18 21:32
Author: LarryDoyle

Switch men used the lamps without a lense.

The lamp with the lenses and stand was used by carmen.

-LD

Date: 12/15/18 08:59
Author: av22condr

When I hired out on the NYC these lanterns had a clear, or red  or green globes over the two bulbs they were used for flagging purpose. I think I still have a red globe and a couple lanterns.  These lanterns were heavier than the conger lanterns we got later. 

Date: 12/15/18 13:24
Author: Shafty

I got a Justrite lantern when I hired out as a clerk on the U.P. in Los Angeles in 1955.  I had it for quite a few years until a knucklehead borrowed it and left it on a catering truck.  Some other clerks and I fashioned a small shield on the base so that as you were walking along writing on a clipboard the light would shine everywhere but in your eyes.

After that I had a Conger.

I do not ever remember seeing a plastic lens on a lantern.

The carmen used a different lantern with a larger stand to sit on the ground and light up whatever they were working on.  The battery and light were set up similar to a flashlight with a large reflector and lens.

Eugene Crowner 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds