Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rear Ends -- Rick Burn

Date: 01/03/19 21:42
Rear Ends -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

1. CB&Q's California Zephyr in Chicago Union Station on August 29, 1967 looking out at the South Branch of the Chicago River.

2. CB&Q Train 2, the Galesburg Local, Aurora, IL in October 1961.  That's Roger Puta running down the platform to get a head-end shot with one E-unit.

3. Canadian National Station at Windsor, ON in September 1963.  That looks like Rick's brother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/19 21:44 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/03/19 21:42
Re: Rear Ends -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

4. Florida East Coast Train 2, ending with Saint Lucie Sound (Budd tavern - lounge observation), Jacksonville, FL in February 1968.

5. MILW Train 26, a Milwaukee to Sioux Falls train, at Kansasville, WI in June 1965.

6. CB&Q Northern 5632 at the Eola Roundhouse, Eola, IL in July 1962.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/19 21:51 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/04/19 02:30
Author: gbmott

In photo 2, I wish Roger had paused long enough to photograph the third car from the rear — it looks like something pretty interesting.

Gordon

Date: 01/04/19 07:11
Author: rhburn3

Marty,  Milwaukee Trains 25 and 26 were originally Milwaukee to Kansas City trains.  It connected with trains 19 and 20 which served Omaha and Sioux Falls.  By the time of this photo, the train only ran from Milwaukee, WI to Savanna, IL.   I rode it one time from Madison, WI to Chicago by taking a Badger Bus to Milwaukee, thrain 25 to Beloit, and then the CNW Madison Local to Chicago.  A "Z" route, but covering a line that was not ridden often.  Most of the Sturtavant to Mt. Carroll line is out of service.

Date: 01/04/19 09:28
Author: MILW16

The Milwaukee Road shot at Kansasville is a great record of what was not seen very often.  However, it looks a little bleak to be June.  Probably more like April or late October with the green grass but no leaves on the tree.

Thanks for posting all that you do - they are a wonderful look at the past.

Date: 01/04/19 11:25
Author: HotWater

EMD moved me to Jacksonville, Fla. in September 1967. My customers were FEC, SCL, the Bay Line, some other short lines, and a few industrial railroads, covering Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.  I must admit that I do not remember the FEC having any passenger trains at that time, due to the "big strike", some years previously.

Date: 01/04/19 14:20
Author: cabanillas

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EMD moved me to Jacksonville, Fla. in September
> 1967. My customers were FEC, SCL, the Bay Line,
> some other short lines, and a few industrial
> railroads, covering Florida, Georgia, South
> Carolina, and North Carolina.  I must admit that
> I do not remember the FEC having any passenger
> trains at that time, due to the "big strike", some
> years previously.

During the strike, FEC ran a two or three car local from North Miani to Jacksonville from 1964 or so to 1968 under the asupices of a Florida state mandate since they were an intrastate railroad.  The long diatance trains coming off the Southern and ACL all went over to the Seaboard after the strike started.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds