Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Nostalgia & History > PC Juice on Massive Bridges

Date: 01/04/19 18:34
PC Juice on Massive Bridges
Author: RDG630

PC E44 #4464 leads a train eastbound on the P&T Branch of the Penn Central on March 1,1975. First photo crossing the high bridge over US 322 at Downingtown, Pa and then a few miles east crossing over the four track former PRR mainline at Whitford, Pa. Those were the days.

Date: 01/04/19 18:48
Re: PC Juice on Massive Bridges
Author: ns2557

That is one massive bridge in shot 1. There were a few like this along the Atglen & Susquehanna Line. Thanks for sharing. Ben

Date: 01/04/19 19:35
Author: krm152

Definitely like this mainline electric action series.
A real shame that it is gone.
ALLEN

Date: 01/04/19 19:48
Author: King_Coal

Seemed like everything on the PRR was built to last and heavy duty. That RR must have been something to see in WWII. Nice photos of the A&S.

Date: 01/04/19 20:46
Author: Atlpete

This has been a spectacular series. Is there some reason they operated the E44's back to back sometimes like this or is this just some random configuration of the hostlers
perhaps the mp dept trying to balance the wear on the truck and motors? Anyone know?
Also the recurring ICG boxcars on the front end? Was this a normal traffic thing for awhile back then or just coincidence? Bulk cardboard, crate lumber or paper from Mississippi?

Date: 01/04/19 20:48
Author: resqjon

Very neat!!  But I have to ask......how were you lucky enough to get this train twice in such a short distance?

Jon

Date: 01/04/19 23:38
Author: pt199

Does the high bridge still exist?

Date: 01/05/19 05:05
Author: RDG630

When I scanned these I wondered the same thing, it had to be that he stopped or slowed or I would never have done this

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/19 05:07 by RDG630.

Date: 01/05/19 10:12
Re: P&T
Author: timz

> Does the high bridge still exist?

Google says it did in May 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/DARnEFqQw1N2

Date: 01/05/19 10:45
Re: P&T
Author: Lackawanna484

Pennsylvania Railroad had a network of "redundant" lines, intended to provide smooth service to its passenger and freight business.  The A&S, the Trenton Cutoff, the Port Road,  and the Northern Central, etc.

One that was planned but never bult would have connected Morrisville area of PA / Trenton Cutoff with Colonia / Rahway on the NEC.  A massive, freight only bypass into the booming northeast industrial complex.  One of the Triumph books has the details.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds