Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > Whose bridge, and where was it?

Date: 01/10/19 09:30
Whose bridge, and where was it?
Author: santafe199

Here’s another help needed thread that is a follow-up to the Amtrak SOS I posted yesterday. Can someone ID the RR & location of these old bridge spans? I’m thinking (but not sure) these slides came in sequence after the Amtrak shots. But they came out of a different slide box. So there is a possibility the Amtrak shots were taken somewhere on the way back to Montana. At any rate the very next slide after these 2 was of the out-of-use Santa Fe station in Emporia, KS. So they had to have been taken somewhere west of Emporia. I don’t recall dropping down to Pueblo on my way to Kansas. But after 30 years

1. & 2. Old RR bridge (being removed?) at an unknown location/state. The presence of a crane and attendant vehicle seems to suggest the above, but could be just a coincidence. Photos taken March 15, 1989.

Thanks for the additional help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Through a miracle memory breakthrough (see my own reply below) I can now ID this as the old Rock Island bridge across the Kansas River in Manhattan, KS. It would have been taken on the 15th, rather than the 13th which is in the download caption of my images...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/22 01:56 by santafe199.

Date: 01/10/19 09:40
Re: Whose bridge, and where was it?

Good grief Charlie Brown: I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION! This is the old Rock Island bridge spanning the Kansas River in MY OWN home town of Manhattan, KS. I have NO recollection of taking these shots what-so-ever. But it makes perfect sense. I would of course spent time in Manhattan visiting my folks before dropping down to Emporia. I guess this confessional is yet another lesson for keeping accurate hard copy notes whenever you're out on a major shooting excursion. Digital photography may have made us all lazy, but there are things our digital EXIF features just can't record...

Lance/199  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/19 09:58 by santafe199.

Date: 01/10/19 11:30
Author: JoCoLB

Now I know the year the old Rock Island bridge came down. That was about the same time when the new Manhattan Shopping Mall was also built on the northwest side of the river.  Thanks for the look back. 

Date: 01/10/19 11:42
Author: Bob3985

Memory issues Lance? Wait til you get to my age. It ain't purdy!

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/10/19 11:59

JoCoLB Wrote: > ...  about the same time when the new Manhattan Shopping Mall was also built ...

The "Manhattan Town Center" mall was into its 3rd year when I took these shots. I recall shopping there in 1987 before I left Kansas for Montana (via SoDak).

And Bob: I can hardly wait... on second thought: WHOA Nellie! WHOA, I say!! Slow this damn AGE-wagon DOWN!!!! I'm still getting over missing the Eisenhower Trains extravaganza in Solomon... ;^)

Lance

Date: 01/11/19 09:52
Author: boejoe

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Memory issues Lance? Wait til you get to my age.
> It ain't purdy!
The older we get, the 'forgetter' we become!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds