Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Chicago Great Western Meet at Hayfield, MN -- Walt Dunlap

Date: 01/10/19 22:44
A Chicago Great Western Meet at Hayfield, MN -- Walt Dunlap
Author: MartyBernard

1. First the CGW trackage map in the areas of Walt's photos I have been posting.

2. CGW meet at Hayfield, MN, southbound Train 43, 6 units, 120+ cars meeting Train 92 with 4 units and 90 cars on September 29, 1962.

3. F3A 103-C with the southbound train.

4. F3A 108-A with the northbound train.

Thanks Walt,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/19 22:47 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/10/19 22:44
Re: A Chicago Great Western Meet at Hayfield, MN -- Walt Dunlap
Author: MartyBernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/19 22:46 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/11/19 00:07
Author: GN599

These are just fantastic!

Date: 01/11/19 03:25
Author: Roadjob

Great series on a railroad that didn't seem to get noticed much. With those F units, I would have definitely been a fan.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 01/11/19 03:30
Author: KimHeusel

I agree with others about this series. Have never seen so many CGW photos. Love it!!

Kim Heusel

Date: 01/11/19 03:34
Author: UP951West

I just love these rare and beautiful bucolic scenes of the Great Western and those F units with their unique colors . Four stars.  --Kelly

Date: 01/11/19 03:36
Author: dan

with the map of those lines posted whats there today?

Date: 01/11/19 07:09
Author: King_Coal

Very interesting photos. Another series that sends you to Google Maps and Historic Aerials to see what was there and what's left. Easy on the what's left - no rails at Hayfield. You can make out the ROW and a wye at the junction (now a park) on the south part of town. CGW had a yard on the south side. There is currently a Century Plastics company that looks like it might be where an engine-house might have been.

The CNW did a fairly complete job on dismantling the CGW. The longest stretch I can think of that still exists on the UP is in Fort Dodge.

Date: 01/11/19 08:27
Author: ntharalson

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with the map of those lines posted whats there
> today?

While this question has sort of been answered, I would like to add this; basically nothing.  As noted,
some of the CGW across the Des Moines River in Fort Dodge, including the "HIgh Bridge" is still
there.  Also, the line from Waterloo to Oelwein is intact.  Further, the stub south out of St. Paul to
the Roseville Industrial Park is in and this includes the lift bridge over the Mississippi in St. Paul.  
Finally, and little known, the stretch from Manly to Clear Lake Junction on the south edge of 
Mason City survives.  This is a part of the Rock Island's former "Spine Line."  North of Manly
Junction, the Rock was joint with the M&StL.  South of Manly Junction, which more or less
still exists, the Rock had trackage rights on the CGW to Clear Lake Junction where the two
line split; the Rock to Des Moines and the CGW to Fort Dodge and Omaha.  I should add there
is still some terminal trackage in Des Moines around too, very short but around.  

Hope this helps.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/11/19 09:04
Author: WP-M2051

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > with the map of those lines posted whats there
> > today?
>
> While this question has sort of been answered, I
> would like to add this; basically nothing.

That's the Amerikan way...

Date: 01/11/19 09:26
Author: davebb71

the cannon valley trail sits on it's ROW between red wing and cannon falls, MN and some of the mile markers are still in place.  dave, out.

Date: 01/11/19 11:50
Author: KimHeusel

The Sakatah Singing Hills State Trail is on the old ROW from Fairbault to Mankato.

Kim Heusel

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds