Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forty Friday

Date: 01/11/19 16:44
Forty Friday
Author: WichitaJct

The UP 3175 and a sibling on a very short stack train at Omaha January 2007. 

Date: 01/11/19 16:49
Re: Forty Friday
Author: King_Coal

A good place to watch trains as they descending from Summit with dynamics howling, ready to stop short of the Missouri River bridge. Nice photo!

Date: 01/11/19 17:56
Re: Forty Friday
Author: WichitaJct

It was a pretty good place to watch and photograph trains. Since this photo was taken the UP did double-tracking between Mo. Valley Iowa and Fremont Nebraska and the BNSF did the same between Lincoln and Oreapolis (NE.). I don't live in Omaha anymore but I feel confident in saying the number of trains that pass by the old Omaha Union Station is way down from just a few years ago. My fondest railroad moments in Omaha were back in the early 2000s, before the UP started directional running on the Falls City Sub. You could hear 3 or 4 SD40-2s winding up across the river in Council Bluffs heading west with a Kansas City-bound train. The hill just west of the depot wasn't much really, but they did crank up their power to get up that hill. Believe or not, one time a Kansas City manifest stalled on the hill. The YM in Council Bluffs sent two GP38s to help him get him over the hill.  

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A good place to watch trains as they descending
> from Summit with dynamics howling, ready to stop
> short of the Missouri River bridge. Nice photo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/19 17:59 by WichitaJct.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds