Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Lost" Rock switcher.

Date: 01/11/19 16:46
"Lost" Rock switcher.
Author: callum_out

I've always wondered about this seemingly in good shape SW1200, sitting in a long deadline in Oelwein IA
on the Northwestern. Bought, stole, misplaced by the Rock?

Out

Date: 01/12/19 07:18
Re: "Lost" Rock switcher.
Author: mamfahr

> I've always wondered about this seemingly in good shape SW1200, sitting in a long deadline in Oelwein IA
> on the Northwestern. Bought, stole, misplaced by the Rock?

x-RI power stored at Oelwein after shutdown was there because of storage agreements with the units' owner(s).  I have a power report somewhere in one of my boxes that shows the exact unit numbers and owners, but I recall that GP35s were owned by Greyhound Corp. and that the switchers were there for a similar reason.  (later confirmed that the SW1200s were also Greyhound lease units stored at Oelwein).   One of the GP35s is coupled to the switcher in the photo.  The stored units hung around for a while until owners could determine the best dispo for them.  In the case of the GP35s, some were pulled from storage and leased to CNW for a while to help out during the busy traffic periods of the very early '80s when CNW was leasing almost anything that would pull cars. 

Take care,

Mark    

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/19 18:37 by mamfahr.

Date: 01/12/19 08:39
Author: callum_out

Mark, thanks for that.

Out

Date: 01/12/19 12:12
Author: zr190

Seems to me the Sw1200's wrer owned by Greyhound Leasing.  I believe Iowa Northern had one for a while. 
Also Iowa Railroad had one that was used out at the Bluffs or Atlantic.  I remember waybilling it, but I
don't recall where it went to.
zr190

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds