Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Freight House - Pasadena

Date: 02/10/19 12:45
Santa Fe Freight House - Pasadena
Author: Hutch

I just thought I'd post a couple of snapshots recently scanned of the Santa Fe freight house which stood at the corner of Del Mar and Arroyo in Pasadena, CA. The photos were taken with my Brownie box camera on March 21, 1965, a very smoggy day.

Dan Baker

Date: 02/10/19 12:51
Re: Santa Fe Freight House - Pasadena
Author: santafe199

Love that 40ft boxcar! I remember seeing those by the gazillions in my 2nd hometown of Abilene, KS in those same mid-1960s...

Lance/199

Date: 02/10/19 13:38
Author: wjpyper

I lived in Pasadena Nov 62 to May 65. I remember that freighthouse and the really nice passenger station.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 02/10/19 13:52
Author: PHall

And to all the people who ask why the LA area has such strict air pollution control rules/laws.
This picture shows what was "normal" for the mid sixties. It's improved since then!

Date: 02/10/19 14:05
Author: GBW309

Pasedena, California.  It has such a ring to it.   The american dream.

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Date: 02/10/19 15:02
Author: GPutz

I spent the summer of '66 in Pasadena.  I remember going to the station in the evenings to watch the Santa Fe.   In the morning I could see the San Gabriels.  By noon visibility was down to 100 to 200 yards.  Gerry
====================================================================================================================================================================
PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
And to all the people who ask why the LA area has such strict air pollution control rules/laws.  This picture shows what was "normal" for the mid sixties. It's improved since then!

Date: 02/10/19 17:52
Author: cr7998

Thanks for the shots.  I've been there more recently, and always wondered what it looked like in the 60's.  

Speaking of smog, I recall visiting relatives in Riverside before the stringent air pollution laws were in effect.  Not only could we not see the San Gabriel Mountains, we could not even see Mount Rubidoux, just a few miles away, right within the Riverside city limits.  And that was on a "clear" day.  The atmosphere was downright oppressive.    

Date: 02/10/19 18:28
Author: PHall

cr7998 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the shots.  I've been there more
> recently, and always wondered what it looked like
> in the 60's.  
>
> Speaking of smog, I recall visiting relatives in
> Riverside before the stringent air pollution laws
> were in effect.  Not only could we not see the
> San Gabriel Mountains, we could not even see Mount
> Rubidoux, just a few miles away, right within the
> Riverside city limits.  And that was on a "clear"
> day.  The atmosphere was downright oppressive. 
>   
>
>  

The Kaiser Steel mill in Fontana didn't exactly help the air in Riverside.

Date: 02/11/19 08:25
Author: UPJeff

Dan , if you have more photos that would be awesome.  I have a full size HO model of the freight house on my model railroad.  Getting photos of the north and east side seem to be the hardest.  Thank for the great pictures.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds