Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Nostalgia & History > OTD: a UP train with a little bonus ('77) 2 ROW and GP pics added

Date: 02/11/19 05:47
OTD: a UP train with a little bonus ('77) 2 ROW and GP pics added
Author: valmont

Just another UP GP30 (#867) and GP9 (#261) pulling a freight .... this one by Bruce Black on Feb. 11, 1977 but the GP9 is a little bonus .... and trains don't run here anymore. I took Pic 2 in 2014 ..... both in Erie, CO

Info from 'zephyrus' from a previous post: "UP 261 was modified as part of UP's turbocharging tests in the mid 1950s. UP 283 was also modified as part of this, but not with a turbo. The 261 received am AiResearch turbo and more air intake vents. The 283 received just the vents to see if increasing airflow along would have any benefit."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/19 09:27 by valmont.

Date: 02/11/19 06:01
Re: OTD: a UP train with a little bonus ('77)
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Are the rails still in place ?

Date: 02/11/19 06:09

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>          Are the rails still in place ?

I haven't been back to see if the place in Erie  where I took he 2014 pic still had tracks in place however Google Earth shows rail existing in some places along the line to Boulder.

Date: 02/11/19 07:18
Author: dan

still there RTD owns the corridor to boulder from the dent branch which has new rail as far as 128th which they are close to getting the catenary done, i think they should just use this for the boulder line and continue to run busses up US36 perhaps

Date: 02/11/19 07:24
Author: Bob3985

Erie had the coal mine in the Boulder Branch in the good old days and open quite late.
Much of the old Dent line and branches are being taken by RTD for their lines north.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/11/19 07:32
Author: SCKP187

Wow, a beautiful looking local.  Seen a lot of locals in that era with the caboose next to the power--it helped having the crew up front for the set-out and pick-up work on the turn back into the terminal as well as get the caboose serviced in time for the next turn out----wouldn't management have a fit about that today !
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/11/19 07:45
Author: loopy7764

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>          Are the rails still in place ?

At least last year (2018) the rails were "abandoned in place". Most of the crossings have been paved over, and except for the signal relay boxes, all related equipment were partially (in which case an "exempt" sign was placed) or completely removed. The whole line is severed to the east by I-25; West of Erie at Valmont, there is some isolated rolling stock and a black/orange/silver Geep where the line ends. Not being from the area I too would like the story behind this route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/19 07:47 by loopy7764.

Date: 02/11/19 08:04
Author: CPR_4000

Your photo caption "Info from 'zephyrus' from a previous post: "UP 261 was modified as part of UP's turbocharging tests in the mid 1950s. UP 283 was also modified as part of this, but not with a turbo. The 261 received am AiResearch turbo and more air intake vents. The 283 received just the vents to see if increasing airflow along would have any benefit." " might have the unit numbers transposed . . . looks like 261 in your photo and it shows two exhaust plumes, meaning no turbo.

Date: 02/11/19 08:25

loopy7764 Wrote:
> dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >          Are the rails still in place ?
>
> At least last year (2018) the rails were
> "abandoned in place". Most of the crossings have
> been paved over, and except for the signal relay
> boxes, all related equipment were partially (in
> which case an "exempt" sign was placed) or
> completely removed. The whole line is severed to
> the east by I-25; West of Erie at Valmont, there
> is some isolated rolling stock and a
> black/orange/silver Geep where the line ends. Not
> being from the area I too would like the story
> behind this route.

The rolling stock in old Valmont Townsite belongs (belonged?) to the Boulder County Railway Historical Society, the orange GP is Great Western / Union Pacific  GP9 #296

Just added these 3 pics I took on 7/18/2010 ... the ROW pics are looking east at 61st St. crossing 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/19 09:26 by valmont.

Date: 02/11/19 09:24
Author: GPutz

UP #261 showed up at C&NW's Proviso Yard, Illinios, 2/8/81.   Gerry

Date: 02/11/19 11:58
Re: OTD: a UP train with a little bonus ('77) 2 ROW and GP pics a
Author: Roadjob

Just keep proving that you can take nothing for granted. These photos are stark evidence of that.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 02/11/19 15:37
Author: WAF

The line to Boulder has No trespass signs at the streets with RTD phone numbers. Almost all the equipment is gone from the Boulder Valley Museum

Date: 02/11/19 16:18
Author: dan

They wanted to run a dinner train down to 287, Now I think Boulder county was a hassle , the old valmont neighbors, UP , so Jason, the main driving force, got out of there I think.  Was pretty cool, and could have been great.    With coal trains not going to Valmont be cool to use that trackage.

Date: 02/11/19 18:08
Author: tolland

The 296 is at Heber Valley RR. I just inquired and the reply was that the 296 is operable.

Date: 02/12/19 03:45
Author: donstrack

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> Your photo caption might have the unit numbers
> transposed . . . looks like 261 in your photo and
> it shows two exhaust plumes, meaning no turbo.

UP 261 was turbocharged from 1956 to 1962, and had a normal engine after that.

http://utahrails.net/articles/up-gp9-turbo.php

Don Strack

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds