Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Nostalgia & History > Saturday Matinee; Ogden Utah WP UP SP DRGW Butte Special?

Date: 03/09/19 06:45
Saturday Matinee; Ogden Utah WP UP SP DRGW Butte Special?
Author: KCRW287

This video has starts with 2 station shots with Rio Grande and WP, no ID, . Has an early Rio Grande FT powered pass train, a UP powered special? Then to Ogden for some UP and a look at some SP PA power at the boneyard. Railfans if you have any home movies get it converted, my last batch of 8 7" reels was all ruined, turned to mush or something similar. Any info is greatly appreciated. KCRW287

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/09/19 07:24
Re: Saturday Matinee; Ogden Utah WP UP SP DRGW Butte Special?
Author: WAF

Two car UP train was No 5, the last of the Mail to LA

Date: 03/09/19 09:13
Author: Atlpete

Great footage, thanks for posting, I'd guess the DR&GW passenger train with the FT AB- F7B power set appears to be The Prospector 
or perhaps Roysl Gorge?  at St. Lake City?  What a great shot of a great looking train.
Saturday matinee indeed! Pass the pop corn.

Date: 03/09/19 09:35
Author: dan

prospector and the gorge were combined to G JCT

Date: 03/09/19 13:55
Author: SPDRGWfan

D&RGW FT's were gone around 1964 so those scenes must have been prior to that date.  Some of the scenes appear to be 66 or 67 with the UP SD45's.  I used to think film was higher resolution but no 8 mm, isn't much better than VHS.  Super 8 mm is significanly better if you check out the Harris films on Youtube.

Date: 03/10/19 04:17
Author: zfan

Wow!  Very cool video.  Thanks!

Date: 03/10/19 05:16
Author: donstrack

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two car UP train was No 5, the last of the Mail to
> LA

More likely Train No. 6, eastbound. It stays to the left as it departed the depot, and staying on the mainline along side Riverdale Yard, enroute to Weber Canyon. It would have gone to the right, crossing over multiple tracks, to be going to LA by way of Salt Lake City. I don't know if UP was still using the ballon track this late, but the train would still have had to cross over multiple tracks to get to the balloon track. Trains 5 and 6 were discontinued in September 1969. In the screen capture, you can see the train is passing under the signal cantilever, which means it was staying on the mainline.

Here is a map of Ogden in April 1969...

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Maps/Ogden-Maps/i-QKjGqBs/A

The views of UP SD45s arriving in the yard indicate a date after March 1968 when they were delivered. The photographer is standing in the 24th Street vaiduct.

At the end, the SP Alco PAs being scrapped indicate a date of about April 1968.

Don Strack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/19 05:20 by donstrack.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds