Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > What was this window used for?

Date: 03/14/19 19:39
What was this window used for?
Author: upkpfan

This window is in the  about 1890 SF Depot in Holyrood, KS that we are restoring. What was it used for?  It is 20" by 24" high and is located about 6' to the left of the ticket window as looking from the office side.

The second pic. is taken from the waiting room area with no trim around it yet. Thank you for any info you may share. upkpfan

Date: 03/14/19 20:18
Re: What was this window used for?
Author: KskidinTx

Sure looks like a ticket window to me but you say the ticket window is 6' to the right.  Could you post a picture of the ticket window?  Or both windows in one shot?

I was the engineer on a work train unloading ties on the Little River District in 1973 for about a week but do not recall being inside of the Holyrood depot.

Thanks to all of you in your restoration of the depot.

Mark

Date: 03/14/19 21:24
Author: cewherry

Possibly the Baggage master's window. Is there an obvious opening close by that baggage and parcels could passed through?

Charlie

Date: 03/15/19 12:28
Author: PHall

Was there seperate waiting rooms for men and women when the station was built?
Fairly common in the 19th century.

Date: 03/15/19 12:35
Author: okrifan

Maybe a telegraphers window?

Ken

Date: 03/15/19 16:11
Author: BaltoJoey

Maybe a window for express packages?

Date: 03/15/19 18:42
Author: millerdc

I lived in the Pierce, NE depot as a child as a child and remember it had both a men and woman's ticket window so I am guessing a segregated (by sex) ticket window. 

Date: 03/15/19 19:36
Author: upkpfan

I will get a pic. of the ticket window and this window and a accurate measurement. No there was just one waiting room. 
I guess now, maybe it could have been for small packages but why mess with that when there was a large ticket window nearby. Thank you for the info. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0266 seconds