Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Nostalgia & History > D&H BS-1 on the ex-LV at Catasauqua,PA. 39 years ago OTD

Date: 03/23/19 08:32
D&H BS-1 on the ex-LV at Catasauqua,PA. 39 years ago OTD
Author: perklocal

On 3/23/80 I chased D&H BS-1 west out of Bethlehem,PA. This train consisted of ingot loads and other steel products from the Bethlehem Steel Plant.  Conrail still had the ex-LV in service from Allentown up to Lehighton. The D&H Sea-Land Trains as well as the Steel Trains tended to use the "Valley Side" at this late date. The best shot of the chase for me that day was at the site of the ex-LV yard at Catasauqua passing the old mast signal with an all Alco consist of 505, 5001, 507 (RS3u, RS11, RS3u).  At one time this yard was used by 4 railroads. LV, RDG, L&NE, and the Ironton. It wasn't long after this that the "Valley Side" was taken out of sevice. It was torn up in late 1986.

Date: 03/23/19 09:39
Re: D&H BS-1 on the ex-LV at Catasauqua,PA. 39 years ago OTD
Author: overniteman

Nice power, nice shot!
Anytime we caught the BS-1 it had a Guilford Geep, nothing like your goodies.

Date: 03/24/19 04:10
Author: Roadjob

That is one cool lashup. You were smart to work the Allentown area in those days, Very transitional period for the railroads and the region, but you had to work the area, which you did very well.. I think I only went back there just one time in the 80s. Just wasn't the same for me.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/24/19 14:11
Author: LV95032

Nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds