Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Nostalgia & History > NEC Penn Central "Where am I"

Date: 03/24/19 16:51
NEC Penn Central "Where am I"
Author: Mgoldman

Curious - saw this nostalgic shot posted on RP today (3-24-19) from the collection of Nate Murry featuring
Penn Centrail E-44's pulling a long string of MP 54's back in March of 1976.  Neat shot.  Anyone know
where it may be?  Only listed as "New Jersey" at time of post.   Also - a Rich Brown suggests the coaches
are en route for scrapping.

/Mitch

Date: 03/24/19 17:10
Re: NEC Penn Central "Where am I"
Author: PRR_4859

Perhaps at Waverly?

Date: 03/24/19 17:18
Author: boejoe

I'm going to guess Rahway with the track at left coming from the New York & Long Branch.  Just a guess.

Date: 03/24/19 17:25
Author: CPR_4000

I thought Rahway at first too, but IIRC the NY&LB tracks there are in a "subway" and there are more than three tracks on the main at Rahway.

Date: 03/24/19 17:37
Author: boejoe

If only Ed K. were here to help us...

Date: 03/24/19 19:55
Author: resqjon

This is an eastbound coming into Morris interlocking in Morrisville, PA. Train is coming down out of Morrisville Yard....today’s location of NJT’s Morrisville facility. Track on the left is NEC track 2 (Track 1 out of view to the left, and 3 & 4 are to the right of the train. Just across the river from New Jersey....but not quite there yet.

Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/19 19:57 by resqjon.

Date: 03/24/19 19:55
Author: Steinzeit2

I'm not positive, but I think the train is coming into Meadows from Hudson [ tower ], with the [ double track ] Passaic Branch from Waverly coming in from the left.  That would be the Kearney substation on the right, with just a hint of the DL&W catenary pole there at a lower level.  The cars if going to scrap could be worked back to Naporano, but Waverly would seem more logical, so perhaps they are going somewhere else, not necessarily on the PC.

SZ

OK -- I like Morrisville better -- the substation is a better match.  Surprised the curvature of the eb mains looks so sharp......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/19 20:01 by Steinzeit2.

Date: 03/24/19 19:57
Author: toledopatch

I'm with resqjon. The surrounding area is far too wooded to be anywhere in the Meadows, and it's not Waverly or Rahway either. Morrisville was where my thinking was taking me before I even saw his post.

Date: 03/24/19 20:30
Author: Mgoldman

Yep - definitely Morrisville, PA!

That was my first thought when I saw the photo but Nate suggested it was in
fact taken somewhere in New Jersey so I wanted to verify.  I took a shot from
that location back in 2010 but further north and on the opposite side of the main. 
The photographer of the E-44's must have ventured further south (and on the
south side of the main).  Both locations will get you chased out today.

I'll update Nate!

Note the substation and three track main at this spot:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Morrisville,+PA+19067/@40.2014592,-74.7757285,249m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c157593255b2cb:0xe9481c0e42a5c7da!8m2!3d40.2086471!4d-74.7746182?hl=en

Thanks!

/Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/19 20:33 by Mgoldman.

Date: 03/24/19 20:33
Author: pdt

I wasted much too much time looking at google earth trying to match this.  Cause I grew up in this area...and was surprised I couldnt place it immediately.  Its hard t believe that the track on the left is NEC track 2, but I guess that's what it looked like in 1970-ish.  Looks more like a freight track.....

As far as I can tell.....person was standing at top right hand corner of this photo.  Middle 3 tracks are coming down the flyover from morrisville yard.  Train is coming out of morrisville yard, heading east.  "new Jersey" was a little misleading....its just over the river in PA.

Of course, I could be wrong.....but I checked  lot of other places, and this is the only one where the tracks and substation and elevation fit.

Date: 03/25/19 05:13
Author: choodude

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wasted much too much time looking at google earth trying to match this.  Cause I grew up in this area...and was surprised I couldnt place it immediately.  Its hard t believe that the track on the left is NEC track 2, but I guess that's what it looked like in 1970-ish.  Looks more like a freight track.....
>
> As far as I can tell.....person was standing at top right hand corner of this photo.  Middle 3 tracks are coming down the flyover from morrisville yard.  Train is coming out of morrisville yard, heading east.  "new Jersey" was a little misleading....its just over the river in PA.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong.....but I checked  lot of other places, and this is the only one where the tracks and substation and elevation fit.

I agree with the Morrisville location.

Perhaps the photographer was taking pictures out the back of a train.

Brian 

Date: 03/25/19 07:11
Author: Lackawanna484

choodude Wrote:
(SNIP)
>
> I agree with the Morrisville location.
>
> Perhaps the photographer was taking pictures out
> the back of a train.
>
> Brian 

That seems very reasonable, I had wondered if he used a ladder in the middle of what I thought was a siding...

Date: 03/25/19 12:57
Author: CPR_4000

choodude Wrote:
> Perhaps the photographer was taking pictures out
> the back of a train.

Quite possible, given the perspective of the track curving off to the left. A great shot if that's the case!

Date: 03/25/19 14:57
Author: MW4man

No question.  Taken from the back of an eastbound train on track 2 at Morrisville.

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> choodude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Perhaps the photographer was taking pictures
> out
> > the back of a train.
>
> Quite possible, given the perspective of the track
> curving off to the left. A great shot if that's
> the case!

Date: 03/25/19 17:00
Author: abyler

That's Morris interlocking and the trains is coming down off the Trenton Cut-Off.

Date: 03/28/19 08:58
Author: Gonut1

It's Morris, the substation is consistant with location.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds