Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Turbo Ride in ‘75

Date: 03/25/19 01:08
A Turbo Ride in ‘75
Author: ghCBNS

After arriving in Montreal on CN’s Scotian from Halifax way back in March 1975.....I checked to see if any seats had become available on the Turbo for Toronto instead of the following and slower Bonaventure I had originally been booked on. Sure!.....I paid my $2 Turbo supplement and was on my way. 335 miles in 4hrs/10min.

-The Scotian from Halifax at Levis earlier that afternoon.
-Boarding the Turbo from Gare Centrale’s high level platform.
-The view from the Turbo Dome as we get underway from Montreal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/19 01:15 by ghCBNS.

Date: 03/25/19 01:09
Re: A Turbo Ride in ‘75

After a couple of days in Toronto.....I was back on the Turbo to Montreal:

Date: 03/25/19 01:10

>

Date: 03/25/19 01:11

>>

Date: 03/25/19 04:41
Author: MILW86A

In Pic 3, I take it thats the engineer in the left seat correct? 

Excellent series, 

MILW86A 

Date: 03/25/19 04:47

MILW86A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Pic 3, I take it thats the engineer in the left
> seat correct? 
>
> Excellent series,

I hope not!.....that’s a can of beer on the table! This view is from the rear dome looking forward over the train. The engineer would be in the front dome.....seated on the right.

Date: 03/25/19 08:29
Author: MILW86A

Oh heck my bad.  I guess I didnt notice.
Being in the dome that would have been a nice ride.

Date: 03/25/19 08:50
Author: cnr6776

MILW86A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh heck my bad.  I guess I didnt notice.
> Being in the dome that would have been a nice
> ride.
>  

It was. My only ride on the Turbo was June 1977, repainted VIA blue and yellow, Dorval to Toronto, in the dome almost all the way. 
Speedometer was pegged at 95 for almost the entire trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/19 08:52 by cnr6776.

Date: 03/25/19 11:18
Author: DavidP

Love it!  My tenth birthday present from my parents was ride on the PC Turbo from Grand Central to Bridgeport in 1969.  We also sat in the rear dome, but of course the US version was much shorter with only three cars.

Dave

Date: 03/25/19 16:32
Author: cabsignaldrop

Nice, thanks for taking us along with you.  335 miles in 4 hours, 10 miutes.  In the 70s, no less.  Amazing.  Now I believe the fastest offerings are over 5 hours.  

Date: 03/25/19 18:17
Author: agentatascadero

I had just one Turbo ride, in '71, from NYC to Boston.......managed to get the dome seat right behind the engineer.....as I recall, the only thing seperating him from the passengers was a glass shield between my seat and his.  Talk about back seat drivers, it wold have been easy to harass the hogger........which, I might add, did not occur on my trip.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 03/26/19 09:12
Author: moonliter

Thanks Gary for the nice series.

It amazes me how much paper there was back in the day and why the is so much of it here in my home in Ottawa, but I digress.  It was the simplest item of ephemera in your post was what caught my attention, I have one of those I thought to myself.   Yours is only the 2nd one that I remember seeing.  Because it was rather plain it was left behind on the train, not like the flashy Turbo poster that you presented.

That being said, my CCS-305 form is different than yours.  Missing is the menu, also mine is from the Ottawa-Montréal service. (see Places, Please)

Great post.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds