Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > OTD: Dreary Day Detroit Terminal & a find in roundhouse

Date: 04/15/19 07:25
OTD: Dreary Day Detroit Terminal & a find in roundhouse
Author: valmont

These are re-posts from 2011 ... I took the pics on April 15, 1972 and that's the Budd plant in the background. (no, not 'Budweiser'!!)

From 'dcmkris' in my post of 8 years ago:
"This is GTW #6323, at the Detroit Terminal round house. This engine was located just outside of our train club which was located on the second floor. I don't know this for sure, but it has been said that 6323 was the last steam engine to operate a revenue passenger train in the United States. The 6323 now resides at the Union Illinois Rail museum.
Here are some stats
GTW's class U-3-b 4-8-4s were built by American Locomotive Company in 1942-1943 for both freight and passenger service with 73" drivers."

Date: 04/15/19 11:43
Re: OTD: Dreary Day Detroit Terminal & a find in roundhouse
Author: cr7998

Thanks for the shots.  Can you or anyone advise the location of the first shot of the DTRR switcher with the Budd plant in the background?  I know it is Detroit, but would like to know the line segment or nearby street.  Thanks.  

Date: 04/16/19 04:38
Re: OTD: Dreary Day Detroit Terminal & a find in roundhouse
Author: NCAndy

East side of town pretty much next to Chrysler's Jefferson Assembly plant.  Mack Ave and Conner area. 

cr7998 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the shots.  Can you or anyone advise
> the location of the first shot of the DTRR
> switcher with the Budd plant in the background? 
> I know it is Detroit, but would like to know the
> line segment or nearby street.  Thanks.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds